VGA adapter

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
I just got my mom a new LCD screen and I need to hook it up to her beige G3 (233mhz), but the cord/port don't match (port on the computer is larger than the connector on the monitor). I know my blue and white G3 came with an adapter like this...but it went from big to small (I think) and I need one that goes from small to big I guess. so what exactly is this thing called? is this the difference between VGA and sVGA?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: VGA adapter

Originally posted by Choppaface
I just got my mom a new LCD screen and I need to hook it up to her beige G3 (233mhz), but the cord/port don't match (port on the computer is larger than the connector on the monitor). I know my blue and white G3 came with an adapter like this...but it went from big to small (I think) and I need one that goes from small to big I guess. so what exactly is this thing called? is this the difference between VGA and sVGA?
It might be a DVI cable coming out of the monitor...Dr Bott has lotsa adapters of this type.

Would you mind pointing to a webpage that has the exact model you got her?

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
no I don't think its DVI cuz it's hooked up and working with her wallstreet powerbook right now

and i specifically asked the guy at compusa if it had a VGA connection

I guess what I need to know is the type of port on the back of the beige G3

might that be somewhere buried in apple's knowledge base dox?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Kinda need a little more info. 1) Is this one of Apple's LCD's or another brand? 2) Is this the original ATI Rage 128 graphics card you're trying to plug into?

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hehe

Once I had the wrong cable, and a bunch of adapters. I just hooked em all up right and it worked!

It isnt good for the plug though, adds extra pull-down weight

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Hehe

Originally posted by MacAztec
Once I had the wrong cable, and a bunch of adapters. I just hooked em all up right and it worked!

It isnt good for the plug though, adds extra pull-down weight
That is where the short ones are the best. Plus almost all of them screw into the computer, and then the cable screws to the adapter. I've used them before, when I had to, and never had anything bad happen. Other then it does increase the amount of room you need to give your computer (for the backside).

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
thats exactly what I needed!! thanks guys :D :D

BTW its a samsung 17"...I forget the model number

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.