VGA Cable Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by c1phr, Feb 12, 2011.

1. c1phr macrumors 6502

So I'm loving my new Macbook Pro, and being able to hook it up to my external display (1920x1080) is excellent when working in Premiere Pro, Photoshop etc.

I have the Apple Mini DP to VGA adapter (DVI port is in use on the monitor)

The first VGA cable I tried was the one that came with the monitor (should have ferrite cores), which had horrible amounts of noise. I'm now using a different one that works perfectly, however, I need it elsewhere so I've decided to buy a new one for my mac.

I don't need one very long (hence why I linked 1.5' cables) but I have a question on shielding:

The first cable says it's double shielded, but has ferrite cores to reduce noise (and is VGA only).

The second says it is triple shielded, though it has no ferrite cores and has a 3.5mm audio jack.

My question then is, would I notice a difference in noise levels (I have very sensitive eyes) between the two? Having the 3.5mm audio jack would be awesome, but I will pass up that convenience in return for the best possible quality.

Double shielded w/ ferrites (no audio): http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10201&cs_id=1020102&p_id=5361&seq=1&format=2

Triple shielded w/o ferrites (has audio): http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10201&cs_id=1020105&p_id=5351&seq=1&format=2

2. mbmobile macrumors member

Why you do not grab a VGA-DVI Cable?
    Or, better, a Mni DisplayPort-DVI adapter from Apple and connect everything with a DVI-DVI cable?

If you want the best quality as possible with your setup, this is what you should do.

On the cable, for 1.5mt I will not bother spending too much money, just grab one that works.

MB

3. c1phr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response!

My monitor only has one connector for DVI, and another for VGA. The DVI is in use right now for my desktop machine, so my MBP is forced to go with DVI.

I'm just wondering if there is a significant difference in a cable that is triple shielded, or double shielded with ferrite cores. The prices are negligible (about $2 each).

4. mbmobile macrumors member

On this matter, I hardly believe you can buy a reliable cable for 2$.

Considering that at least 3 people have to gain on it (who makes the parts, who build it and who sell it), I will surely avoid to buy a so cheap product.

5. c1phr thread starter macrumors 6502

I've read of many both on this forum and on other sites recommending Monoprice cables, all without major issue. I haven't heard one negative remark about them until now.