VGA Capture Card?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by justaregularjoe, Dec 19, 2010.

1. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

My brother wants to capture video out from his Xbox 360, preferably through his preexisting VGA connection. Plus, he only has a laptop so PCI cards are not an option.

Any ideas? All I can find are Composite input cards or internal cards. -_-.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There isn't much of a demand for VGA capture. What is he trying to do exactly? Your best bet it a VGA to Component or Composite adapter, or use the Component/Composite cables for the XBox and capture them for the computer (like the EyeTV). If he is trying to play games on his laptop screen, he would just be better off buying a cheap (<$200) monitor to play on or an SDTV.

TEG

3. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess he just wants to capture sweet kills on COD. :rolleyes:

He already has a 22" external monitor that he uses; thus the sytem will be augmented with a VGA splitter so that he can watch and record simultaneously.

Also, he is running Windows 7, so while an EyeTV HD would be perfect, he can't run the software.

What about the EyeTV Hybrid. It supports composite in (720p/1080i it claims) and USB 2.0. Would this work?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It should work, without issue.

5. CaptainChunk, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

On the EyeTV Hybrid, the 720p/1080i support is only for OTA (ATSC) and cable (Clear QAM) tuning. The composite and S-video inputs on the breakout cable will allow 480i (SD) recording at best.

If you need to be able to actually capture in HD from another device other than OTA/cable (such as the XBox 360), you'll need to look elsewhere at a device that will do HD recording over component video. As far as Elgato's products are concerned, you would need to step up to the EyeTV HD ($50 more) to do HD capturing.

6. dizzie1 macrumors newbie

Cheap Solution

Dude, I've got a $10 solution for you if you are willing to tinker a bit. You can get an Easycap DC60 on Amazon for about $10 - http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-Audio...AQFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293025831&sr=8-2

The newer models don't pick up audio, but you can just get a stereo RCA to mini-plug adapter cable to bring the audio from the VCR to the Audio In port on your Mac. Then, adjust the audio level accordingly in System Preferences under Audio on your Mac.

Then, get the free EasyCapViewer for Mac from Ben Trask - http://bentrask.com/easycap/ (consider a donation?). There are some good suggestions on his site regarding settings. I usually set it to export to MP4 at about 65 - 70% quality without deinterlacing. You can even record at half the frame rate, which yields a good 30fps. Then, to make a DVD, just drop the file in Burn OSX. Or, you can edit it first in MPEG Streamclip. Be aware that the file sizes from EasyCapViewer will be quite large - up to 10 gigs per 2 hours - so have plenty of room on your hard drive.

Let us know what you end up with! :cool:

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I suppose that would work provided the OP is fine with capturing in SD resolution. He did mention 720p/1080i previously, which would require an HD capturing device connected to the XBox 360 over component video.

8. dizzie1 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm also assuming xbox has a composite (single-plug) video out, which I really don't know.

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yes, they do come with a composite A/V (composite video plus stereo RCA audio) dongle, but that will be limited to 480i (SD) output.