VGA/DVI advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JNB, Oct 18, 2007.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

So...

I've got a new 19" Samsung monitor (which I'm pretty happy with - $209 at Fry's). It has both VGA & DVI inputs, and as it came with a VGA cable and I already have the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, I went with VGA.

Well, the cable's crap, and the color temp keeps changing just my manipulating the cable, and it's secure at both ends.

My question is, is it worth the $50 to $60 for a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter, AND a DVI cable? I don't have any serious graphic needs, color correction & all that is a non-issue, and it's only used at the home office (see pic), never on the road (about 40 weeks a year). Or, should I just spend the relatively minimal amount for a new VGA cable and quit worrying?

The only reason I ask is this is the first computer-monitor pair that supports DVI, so I.m naturally curious as to the real benefit in my case.

Oh, sorry for the craptastic photo. I just got a quick snap with my iPhone, and that's about as good as it gets. (listening, Steve?)

Attached Files:

2. n0d3 macrumors regular

Is that the 931BW? I just bought one cause my 23" ACD went in and won't be back in time any time soon. Mine came with both VGA and DVI cables (I'm in Asia so maybe the package differs somewhat). Replacing the VGA cable is definitely the cheapest/easiest way to go.

3. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

It's the 906bw, 19" widescreen. Thought as much about the cable, was just hoping that something about DVI would be so magically delicious that it couldn't be resisted.