Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I had always used DVI with my 24 inch dell monitor, yet when watching DVD's, blacks looked green and jittery, almost looked like an internet stream sometimes. Yet when I used VGA(X800XT->ADC connector->ADC to VGA->2405fpw) I noticed the blacks were much deeper and movies looked better, yet the screen wasn't as bright and I always have to do auto adjust.

What's the problem with my DVI connnector? Shouldn't it look better?:apple:

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Try some HD trailers or something like that. I've found the blacks in DVDs to be horrible, the system deepens them a lot, and you're probably seeing artifacts of that. I was watching some movies on my LCD tv from my Mac Pro yesterday (through VGA, actually...) and the blacks really show the compression and restricted contrast range.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
I had always used DVI with my 24 inch dell monitor, yet when watching DVD's, blacks looked green and jittery, almost looked like an internet stream sometimes. Yet when I used VGA(X800XT->ADC connector->ADC to VGA->2405fpw) I noticed the blacks were much deeper and movies looked better, yet the screen wasn't as bright and I always have to do auto adjust.

What's the problem with my DVI connnector? Shouldn't it look better?:apple:

Dell has their settings a bit out of whack from factory. Usually the brightness is way too high for movies. Have you tried calibrating the display (especially gamma) from the Display (Color) pref pane?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.