VGA or DVI for the macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anotherarunan, Nov 6, 2007.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hey guys...apologies if this is in the wrong section. But i just wanted to know if there was a noticeable difference when hooking up a macbook to a DVI monitor compared to a VGA monitor.

Cheers.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

DVI is newer, digital based. It'll produce more exact colors.
    VGA is older, it can be calibrated.. it's somewhat cheeper. And if you have a Macbook Pro, you need to use the DVI->VGA adapter that it comes with.

Basically, if you have to be asking, you won't notice a difference.

3. supersurge macrumors newbie

In theory you're right, I agree with you... but it sounds like he's asking if anyone's tried to see the difference first hand on the MB specifically.
    Case in point: On audio/video gear, I've seen component outputs look much better that HDMI... It seems to greatly depend on the quality of the components, not so much on the type of connection!

4. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah...all i was wondering was if i got a VGA monitor..would i be that much worse off? or is getting a DVI monitor in this day and age..an absolute must? (similar like buying a non-hd tv?)

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

No, it is not an absolute must. And neither is getting an HDTV. It is recommended to get an HDTV since they really are no longer massively cost prohibitive, and the media that can take advantage of them is prevalent.

What is an absolute must in this day in age is if you are getting a new TV, is to get a digital TV (does not preclude SDTVs)