VGA output issues

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by irishgrizzly, Dec 24, 2015.

1. irishgrizzly, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've got a unibody mini (A1347) that won't output video from the thunder port to vga using the supplied adapter. I'm updating this for a friend and this have been using the same port and adapter but different VGA cable. Could it be a dodgy cable or maybe the monitor does not support it? Any ideas?

I tried booting in safe mode as advised somewhere else.

p.s. while I'm asking - what type of HDMI does the mini take? I there a special kind or one size fits all?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Sometimes it's the cable.
    Sometimes it's the cable "adapter" (if one is being used).
    Sometimes it's the display.

The only way to be sure is to begin substituting cables/adapters/displays.

Can you connect the Mini in question to ANY display at all, using a different connection scheme?

3. jdelgado macrumors regular

I have had a similar issue with a MBP connecting to projectors and TVs. In all cases, I solved the problem changing the VGA cable. I read and confirmed that cables are not created equal and have differences (number of pins, grounding, among others); some work and others do not. Equipment seem to expect something and the cable does not deliver. I first found out about this a few years ago when trying to connect my MBP to a Samsung smart TV. I have also found it later when trying to make presentations. Now I move around with my own VGA cable.