VGA output -> shadows like a 15 years old lcd screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ste9986, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ste9986, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

ste9986 macrumors newbie

Hi all!
    I bought the MiniDisplay to VGA adapter. Then I connected my Macbook Alluminium to a TV, a monitor, a brand new monitor. Everything LCD. I have everytime the same problem: the image has shadows (you can even see the trace of the mouse pointer). If i watch a movie, then it seems that the image i refreshed half of the times that should. If I move a quicktime window with a movie inside, then you can see the "old" image still for like 1/4 of second, and so a lot of "doubled images" with a very short life that follows the quicktime window while moving. The feeling is exactly the same as using a 15 years old TFT monitor (do you remember? ;) ). I tried playing with refresh rate and SwitchResX, and tried two different cables/adapters, but nothing worked..

Any help is welcome. :)

p.s. Leopard 10.5.8, nvidia 9400m, macbook unibody alluminium 2009

Thankyou,
    Stefano.

2. samh macrumors 6502

Same VGA cable each time? How long? Old? New? Does the VGA cable itself work wih other devices as expected?

Could also be bad mini-DP to VGA converter.

3. ste9986 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for the reply.

The VGA cable is integrated in the miniDP-VGA adapter, about one meter long. But i've tried with an apple adapter + VGA cable that i usally use with my PC, same problem... :( I tried on a Mbacbook pro 13' and there is no problem..

Sounds like that 9400m video card is crappy.. or at least mine.. :(

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

That definitely sounds like there is something wonky in your machine - I can attest that the 9400M generally works fine, having both my primary desktop and primary laptop based around it. If you can, I'd get it checked out by Apple.

5. ste9986 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou very much for your feedback!! :) I'll investigate with the apple store..

Cheers,
    Stefano.