VGA screen switcher

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by irishgrizzly, Oct 30, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Hi, could anyone point me to a cheap way to switch quickly between my xbox and Mac using the same screen. In my local shop it's €60+. I'm thinking there must be somewhere cheaper. Here's a diagram to illustrate better what I need...

[​IMG]

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Cheap switchers invariably degrade the signal. I'd suggest investigating whether it's possible to plug both into the screen using one of the alternative inputs. If you're trying to plug in both I'm presuming it's a TV with a VGA-in option. Could you for example use Component on the 360 -> TV connection?

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

It's a 19" Dell widescreen (1 year old). It has loads connectivity options, but not component :(

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

What's the Mac and what is the monitor model?

5. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've got a iBook, but am getting (fingers crossed) an updated Mac Pro soon. The Pro is what I'll mostly be using this way.

I'm in work now and don't have the Dell details to hand, but it has DVI, VGA and another connection that I can't recall.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you'll be using a Pro, you've got no issues - you can plug the Pro into the DVI port and the 360 into the VGA port, and use the monitor input switching.

7. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Good stuff, thanks.

Is there a quality difference between VGA & DVI. I don't know much about the difference, thought DVI was slightly better?

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest a DVI KVM w/USB. While you don't really need the keyboard and mouse support (unless you want to use your keyboard and mouse on the 360) it can always be nice to have.

TEG

9. Kodounas macrumors newbie

hey dudes I have the same problem..I have a vga flat screen monitor with only one port which I am using for my pc.I want t buy a mac mini but I don't wanna throw away my pc.I want to use both with the same screen mouse keyboard and speakers.PLZ tell me how can i do this.:apple:

10. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Simple... buy a KVM.

That way you get to use 1 monitor, 1 set of speakers, and 1 keyboard and mouse with two devices.

you get a keystroke combination such as scroll lock and up twice and the screen will switch to either the mac or the pc... whichever the screen shows is what the keyboard and mouse will be controlling.