VGA splitter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adokimus, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I'm running my laptop and my XBOX 360 to the same HP w2207 monitor, both via VGA cables. Does anyone know of a good VGA splitter so that I could hook both up at the same time with some kind of a switch to control the input?

Thanks,

Ado

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. spiffy05 macrumors member

Would it make sense that a monitor would not 'allow' two inputs to be used at once? I have a Samsung 19" monitor that I plug my monitor in dvi and Xbox in VGA, but I can't seem to figure out how to manually switch the input (other than disconnecting one type).

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That depends on the monitor.

A "good" monitor will allow the user to select between its inputs.

5. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Yeah....does your laptop have DVI or HDMI output? I use the HDMI on my PowerBook and the VGA from my HP desktop to connect to my Samsung Monitor and then select the input via a button on the screen. On power-up, it first tries the digital connection and if there is no signal, it tries the analog right away.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There are good VGA switchboxes (usually for 4 inputs, but sometimes for just two). Here's a page of them, though I can't vouch for the site at all.

jW

7. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah just google KVM there are lots out there.

9. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Thanks for all the help. DVI and HDMI aren't an option for the laptop. VGA out only. Well, VGA and SVideo, but no thanks on that. I'll check the reviews on the switches you've linked for me and see if they work for the XBOX 360. I was hoping I might be able to just use a VGA cord that splits to two outputs and then just unplug either the laptop or the 360 if needed. The primary problem is that the VGA plug on the monitor is a pain to reach and I've begun using the monitor only with the 360 and not the laptop, which it was originally bought for...

-Ado