VGA splitter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fastmac123, Aug 5, 2009.

1. fastmac123 macrumors newbie

Does any one know of a place where i can get a vga splitter? i have a mac mini and two displays. i want to use both displays for my mini. obviously i can't change my graphics card (best buy guy!!:mad:!!) I just want to split the port in 2

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Unfortunately you can't just split VGA with a dongle like you are describing, there wouldn't be enough "juice" in the signal to push out the image to both monitors successfully. You need an amplifier of some sort to add power to the signal. Something like this would work for what you are describing:

VGA Amplifier/Splitter

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, that depends. Do you want to have the exact same picture on both displays, or to use them as independent displays?

Matrox DualHead2Go may be of interest.

4. fastmac123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to be able to be, for example, typing on screen 1, and reading email on screen 2.

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

In that case, if you want to you use the monitors for different things, you need something like Matrox DualHead2Go or an USB graphics card.

The DualHead2Go require both monitors to run the same resolution. An USB graphics card should allow for different resolutions, but it certainly won't be fast. It might do for word processing or web surfing, I haven't tested one at all, but I at least think I saw one with OS X drivers somewhere.

In other words, it is at least theoretically possible to run dual or triple monitors, but may not be practical.