VGA to ADC adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ernest Leery, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Ernest Leery macrumors newbie

I want to connect a second display - an oldish Sony CRT - to the ADC display port on my G4 (Dual 1.25 GHz -mirrored doors). So, I need a VGA-to-ADC adapter. I get the sense from my searching so far that this is something that I can do, and that the adapters are fairly cheap. But I've only found discontined adapters so far. Can anyone recommend a place to get one of these, and alert me to any problems with my plan, if there are any? I'd be eternally grateful.

2. fsron macrumors member

ADC and DVI are digital signals. VGA is an analog signal. I don’t think you’re going to find an adaptor to do that. There may be a device out there that will need to process an analog signal and rebroadcast that signal as digital, If such a thing exists it probably goes from VGA to DVI since ADC wasn’t that big of a market. There are adaptors to convert ADC to DVI and from DVI to ADC. If I remember right ADC to DVI was cheaper than DVI to ADC. Somebody correct me if this is totally wrong. Good Luck.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

There used to be devices that would do this, but as you said, they are all discontinued now.

Unless someone on these forums has one they would be willing to sell you, the easiest/cheapest way to accomplish what you want would probably be to buy a PCI video card with a VGA port. You should be able to find one fairly cheaply.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Reread the post. OP has an analog monitor and a Digital ADC output. You're talking the other way.

OP should have worded it an ADC-VGA adaptor. However, the companies that made these, DR Bott, Kentrox, Addlogix have all discontinued them because the parts are no longer available.

5. fsron macrumors member

You are correct the post led me to believe going from from VGA to ADC.

6. fsron macrumors member

I have, currently using, an ADC to DVI. I think those are still available. I just did a quick search and found adaptors that due DVI to VGA. Two adaptors, will that work? Is there an analog signal to start with in ADC?

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Dr. Bott's ADC-DVI adaptor explicitly states it will not work with DVI-VGA adaptors. YMMV on other brands.

There is an analog signal in ADC, but you are relying on two different adaptors to correctly pass it through....