Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panetta4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
I bought a new computer monitor (a Dell) and the VGA to minidisplay converter wouldn't allow me to split the screen, so I purchased a VGA to DVI cable and then a new minidisplay to DVI adapter.

It is working on my MacBook Pro (I can drag windows off the side of the screen, presumably onto the second screen I am trying to hook up) but not on the Dell computer monitor. Nothing shows up and it says there is no signal coming from my computer. Any idea why or how to fix? Please and thanks.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Somebody correct me if I'm misinformed, but I believe it's to do with digital and analog signals. DVI-D is a purely digital signal whereas DVI-I is a mix of both digital and analog.

Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter is purely digital (DVI-D).

The DVI to VGA adapter relies on a DVI-I input to be able to provide an analog signal to the VGA device (monitor) as VGA is purely analog.

You would need a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter for it to work:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/B/mini-displayport-to-vga-adapter?fnode=51

As to why your computer detects a second screen, it detects a Mini DisplayPort device attached and assumes it's a monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.