VGA to DVI for TV hookup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by truz, Jul 26, 2011.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I noticed my TV has VGA hookup and my Macbook Pro c2d 2.16 has a DVI connection. I'm currently using DVI to DVI on my samsung 27" monitor in my office. I tried DVI to HDMI but there is wasted screen space when using HDMI to DVI on both my Samsung 27" monitor and 42" LG TV.

I have not tried VGA to DVI yet. My question is will it work like DVI to DVI or will I have wasted space like DVI to HDMI?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

by wasted space, do you mean that either the image is too big for the screen meaning you're missing a portion all the way around, or too small meaning black on all sides?

also on your TV, you need to set it to just scan, or something similar in the aspect ratio settings.
    i've also found that sometimes using the input label on your tv, and setting it to PC will cause it to display properly.

if that doesn't work, check the underscan slider in the displays settings (this will clear up the too image big option)

3. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

I don't see underscan only overscan. I'm using HDMI to DVI. I attached images of what you were saying.. (by checking overscan it cuts off my desktop, unchecking overscan leaves a black border)

I don't have a PC hookup for HDMI on my TV it's just normal HDMI. However my TV has VGA hookup for PC. Would a VGA to DVI cable fix this problem I'm having?

Attached Files:

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

first, you keep confusing me, the source connector is first when you're talking about an adaptor,
    laptop (the source) has mini-dvi, tv has hdmi, so the cable you have is dvi to hdmi and not the other way around.
    you're asking about a dvi to VGA cable, and it will probably work, but you may not need it.

have you looked at the settings on your TV?

note that says label, in your menu on the TV, you should have the option to change the name of a port. but all TVs are different, and it may not be there.

check the aspect ratio settings, should have 16:9, 4:3, zoom, or similar options, work your way through the options, in spending a minute with google i just came up with "dot by dot" which is probably what you want