VGA vs. HDMI on my MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iceman332k1, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Iceman332k1 macrumors newbie

I just bought the top-end 15" MBP and I have a mini displayport to VGA adapter to hook it up to my TV (26" 720p resolution). The display doesn't sync perfectly with the TV and the display is good, but I feel like it could be better. Would using an HDMI adapter and cord change anything? If so, what would the differences be? Also, I think I'll be upgrading to a 37-42" 1080p HDTV in the near future, if that matters at all.

2. segers909 macrumors regular

A HDMI cable will give you WAY better quality. VGA is analogue, HDMI is digital, so perfect quality.

3. Shu15 macrumors regular

Yep, HDMI should give you a noticeable change in quality.

4. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I personally struggle to see the difference between vga and digital connections...

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The difference is easy to see if you have a cheap cable and if you are displaying something besides video, such as static images or text. Even with a good cable you will probably see some difference up close. You also have to sit close enough to the TV, assuming you are using a TV. The ideal viewing distance is probably a lot closer than you would normally sit--I think it is something like 6 feet for a 46" HDTV. VGA struggles more with higher resolution, so digital makes more of a difference for 1080 content.

Since a digital connection allows more communication between the display and the computer, there should be no syncing problems.

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Honestly you are probably not going to notice much difference, unless the TV handles computer inputs better through HDMI for some unforseen reason.
    Make sure you are running at 1360x768 and that your TV is on just scan or something similar, because any sort of scaling is going to mess up your picture.

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

If the VGA connection is set correctly and the cable and DA converters are good enough there should be pretty much no difference in image quality. I find that VGA connection quality was more important with CRT monitors than with LCDs.

8. etinin macrumors newbie

There will be a small increase in quality, but it will not make a huge difference.