VHS on DVD - want to edit - help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by viajeraj, Mar 20, 2009.

1. viajeraj macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can help me.

Here's my situation. I recently used a VHS to DVD converter machine to take some old home movies (VHS) and make them into DVD's for my dad's 50th birthday. Now, I'd like to be able to edit the DVD video into chronological order. I tried using Handbrake to encode straight from the DVD into mp4, but for some reason it only encodes the first chapter (there are up to 30 chapters on each DVD, apparently). I also ripped on with Mac the Ripper and then encoded, I'm waiting to see how that turns out...does anyone know why it only encodes the first chapter? Am I going about this all wrong?

My ultimate goal would be to have an iDVD professional looking layout, but with our old home movies on it. Please help! My dad's birthday is in less than a month :eek: I thought I had this all under control but obviously I do not!!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Handbrake is the wrong tool for this if you plan to edit the footage. Use MPEG Streamclip or DVDxDV to convert the DVD's VOB files into an editable format that works natively with your editing program.

FWIW, it would have been better to capture the VHS footage directly into your editing program instead of compressing it to DVD first.

-DH

3. viajeraj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you SO much for responding!

Can you tell me, what tools do I need to go directly from VHS to editable files? I might just redo it. Thanks again!

Julie

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Any qualified DV device will work ... a DV camcorder, VTR or converter. Connect the VHS player's analog outputs to the Dv device's analog inputs. Connect a Firewire cable from the DV device to your Mac. You can capture with iMovie, FCE, FCP, QuickTime Pro or several other programs. Once captured you can edit as needed, then output for DVD.

-DH

5. rekud macrumors newbie

Easy way for me

I found this in one of the threads on this forum and it has been the easiest way for me to transfer my items in IMovie.

As long as the DVD you created was finalized correctly this will work. I have had this work for 15 converted DVD's so far.

Once IMovie sees this as a camera, you have the option of importing all chapters at once(not recommended). Instead click on the uncheck all and then click on one, name the event then click import. Do that for each of the chapters and/or clips and this way it will be easier to put in chronological order.

1) Insert DVD.
    2) Open Disk Utility.
    3) Select the disk and then select "New Image". Save the disk image wherever is convenient, such as the desktop.
    4) Once the disk image is written, open iMovie 08.
    5) Mount the new disk image. A "Camera Detected, Scanning Contents" window will appear in iMovie 08, followed by an import window. You can now import the DVD contents and start editing away.

I wish iMovie would just say, "Hey, this DVD doesn't have copy protection, it must be yours, so I'll import it for you!" Alas, this is not the case, making the process a little more cumbersome. I can image that the idea of importing straight from a DVD was shot down by Apple's legal team... sigh.

Hope this helps somebody! If so, spread the word!

Thanks.