VHS Tapes To iMovie? Or @ Least My Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HappyDude20, Feb 6, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I found a bunch of VHS tapes of family home videos.

I found these at my uncle's house along with this dual vhs/dvd player/recorder. There are easy 1-touch dubbing buttons too. Before going that route however of recording each 2 hour vhs tape onto a dvd-r, I found this cable (pictured). The usb end connects to my mbp, and the other end to the vhs/dve player. However this does not work at all; iMovie nor the Mac recognize it at all.

I then tried to simply "dub" the vhs video, whilst playing to the dvd-r, both in the vhs/dvd player. It says it was doing it but upon ejecting the dvd and placing it on the mac, the mac said i inserted a blank disc.

I have no idea how to do this, just know I want to. I'm wondering if a usb-to-usb cable would do the trick perhaps? I have no idea...

2. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Attached Files:

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You have to "finalize" the DVD first, inside the VHS/DVD recorder. Look in the Menu of the recorder if you can find that or look for the manual online.
    After the finalization you can play the DVD in almost any DVD drive, including your Mac's. After that you have to rip the DVD to your Mac's HDD and then need to convert the footage. If you wanna go that way, look here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9203462&postcount=2

But if you can spend some money, you can look for products spoken of in the following threads.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

The end of the cable that you are holding looks like the camcorder end of a standard firewire cable for connecting camcorder to Mac. Does you Mac have a firewire port? If so, iMovie may recognise the recorder as a camera.