VHS to computer file what do i need

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by italiano40, Dec 30, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

what am i going to need to do that all i have is the tapes that is it

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

The first thing you are going to need is the best quality VHS player you can get. And a head cleaner tape

Next you need something that can turn the signal comming from the above into digital format. I happened to already own a Mini DV camera. This is really the perfect device. Mini DVs have a "pass through" mode where you connect a video signal and it outputs the via firewire. The conversion is very good.

Lacking a Mini DV camera you can buy any number of stand alone video capture devices that connect to the computer via USB. But whtch what format video they create. The DV format is ideal for editing. The cameras are cheap now or maybe you knw someone who ones one and you can borrow it

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

A number of people use devices like the Elgato EyeTV it connects the video signal from the VHS player to a usb port, then you can record on Mac.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

A lot has to do with the number of tapes you have to convert too- since having them professionally transferred to DVDs can make sense if you don't have a ton of them to do since you don't have to buy additional hardware.

An excellent firm to do transfers is DigMyPics in Arizona. Top notch equipment and quality (well at least a high a quality as VHS tapes can be that is...)

If by chance you have a Mini-DV camcorder, many have a "pass through digitizing" function that you can use to convert. You hook the VCR to the input of the camcorder and the FireWire output to the computer adn you are good to go. If you don't have one perhaps a friend does that might loan it to you.

Another option is to use the newly introduced Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac which is a $99 hardware device you can hook the VCR to and includes an onboard hardware digitizer.

7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I have an ADVC55 that I've used for just this purpose. It's like the 110 but it just takes in VHS rather than outputs it as well, so the 55 would be ideal for the OP's task.

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I actually asked the same question a few weeks ago. Take a look

I'm going to use an EyeTV Hybrid and just connect the coaxial to it. It should work fine. At least I hope.

I guess a lot of us went home and the parents pulled out those old VHS home movies. Once we all see that they are half gone already we release it time to convert em.

With the EyeTV, you'll get a TV Tuner for your Mac too. That might be a consideration.

9. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

i think i am going to go with the firm since i would need to go buy a VHS then all these connections and i have about 100, this is for my dad since he was a camera dad

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Since you have a lot of them and would be paying per tape to get this done, I think it would be wiser to do it yourself.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yeah, I was sure thinking the same thing myself! When I introduced that idea I said it would only work if there were few to do! :eek: Somehow I doubt that 100 tapes at $14.95 each is how I would define a few! ;)

To the OP- $1,495.00 will buy a LOT of good conversion equipment that you could resell to recoup some of the cost with afterwards anyway!