VHS to digital best way ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by argo063, Feb 16, 2012.

1. argo063 macrumors member

Hey people

Got some VHS tapes I was to covert into digital. But I want the highest quality.

Number 1 way
    Have DVD record. Could plug in VHS player to it and press record . Then convert the DVD to a digital file. This is alot of work and I think not the best quality because you burn to DVD.

Number 2 way
    Have a pvr what can record on hard drive so could do it that way

Number 3 way
    But a converter eg the video out cables to USB or FireWire .

What would be the best way for top quality?
    Got both macs and widows with loin and window 7.

2. simsaladimbamba

3 is the best way, as you might not be able to read the file from way 2.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find dozens of threads about capturing VHS footage on your Mac:
    [​IMG]

3. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

That what I throught. So what the best unit for quality. ?

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Blackmagic Intensity Pro

The unit is cheap and under 300.
    Works with Avid, Adobe PremierePro and FCPX but under Lion.
    It has its own capture/record software if the above dont exist for you.

5. Magrathea macrumors regular

I did this a month or two ago and if I recall correctly I connected up my VHS machine to my DV camera via s S-VHS cable. Then I put the DV camera in a special mode and then connected the camera to my mac via FW.

You must have a VHS machine that has a svhs out, if you have a crappy old one with just RCA you'll be SOL :)

I was then able to use imovie to import the tapes directly.

6. jcb10 macrumors regular

I found No. 3 quite simple with the EyeTV Hybrid ($150) sold at both Apple Stores and online.

7. mBox macrumors 68020

This was the only cheap way back in the day :)

8. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

Can you some how compare the quality with a back magic and the pvr way?
    As well is the USB 3 on back magic work with USB 2? If not will have to use thunder bolt on laptop .

9. mBox macrumors 68020

wish I could, the BM card was for work, Id love some kind of PVR at home. Only one I have is for cable and have never used it as a external recorder.

10. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Use a videoglide compatible capture device?

29.99 for the software + 20.00 for a Dazzle DVC 100?

11. mcpix macrumors regular

I do this every day and the best unit I've found for VHS is the Canopus ADVC110.

It does a great job and is bus powered. Plus if this is a one time only project they are very popular on eBay, and you can get most of your money back!

I also agree with the other poster that the best way is to use a VHS deck with an S-VHS output. Most JVC decks work well for this.

12. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

In the end using a Dxtreme DX 380 HD. Just got it for another reason. Works great and great quality. As well I can copy the files over net work. What works well.

13. WRP macrumors 6502a

BEST QUALITY?

get a capture card, rent a good VHS player with quality out and capture that way. Something like this....

[​IMG]

But I know you aren't going to go that heavy :D

14. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

On a bit differnt subject . Of scanners. What scanners are the best these days? Got a 600 dpi one at moment what good but then I see ones that are 9000 dpi . Are they that much better?

15. Lo123 macrumors newbie

Reviews look good! I'm almost sold.
    I need to convert to digital and upload to Mac (iMovie), then export to an external hard drive, then upload to PC where I'll finally edit the movies (don't ask why - long story). I'm suspecting that this will lead to headaches over file conversions, but I really have no idea. Any reason suggestions or reasons why the Canopus wouldn't be a good starting point for my process? Thanks

16. mBox macrumors 68020

Canopus to PC dont work?
    Or iMovie for acquisition for approval then sent to you for PC editing?
    Your problem will be the iMovie format to PC.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, depending on how many VHS tapes you have, I would consider taking the tapes to a transfer service. Some drugstores will even do tape-to-disc. On the West Coast they seem to average around $25-30 per tape-to-DVD. However, that would get expensive if you have boxes of tapes and might not be the quality that you seek. Color correction, audio equalization, etc will add to the cost, too.

18. macmania1 macrumors newbie

I want to convert VHS tapes to digital files, preferably QuickTime - not iMovie.
    I don't have a VCR so most options here won't work for me. I don't want to convert VHS to DVD then to QT - I just want to convert VHS to digital video file, preferably with USB access. Any suggestions on what equipment to get?

19. mBox macrumors 68020

Just to clarify the files acquired in iMovie are technically Quicktime Movies.

20. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Without a VCR, none of the options will work. Paying someone to do it for you only makes sense if you're doing only a few tapes. Otherwise, buy the VCR and Canopus unit, then sell them when you're finished. EyeTV is great for recording HD TV from cable or antenna, but garbage for recording VHS. With EyeTV. your digital file will look significantly worse than the tape.

21. kelub macrumors regular

I picked up a "Geniatech iGrabber One Touch Video Grabber" off of Amazon sometime last year - it's $40 and it does the job well. Plugs in via USB and has RCA connections. You'll definitely need a VCR, but you can go to a thrift store and pick one up for really cheap. Alternatively, see if someone you know with one will let you borrow it - there are still plenty of people out there who have them.

Quality is going to be a bit moot since a VCR isn't going to have great quality to begin with - you're talking about a 480i image at its best, so don't set your expectations too high.

It's been a bit since I messed with it so I don't remember exactly what the output format was, but I think I had some different options, and you can always use handbrake or something similar to change it if necessary.

22. macmania1 macrumors newbie

thanks folks. I finally got a vcr, I looked at the iGrabber, then the EZgrabber2, by the same company. I didn't see a big difference between the 2 but EZgrabber 2 is less expensive. Since I'll run this video into my computer, I on't need to connect to tv first, right?

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The EZgrabber2 is cheaper but I don't see where it is OS X compatible. In fact, many of the reviewers complain that it has issues with Windows 7. That makes me wonder how well this company supports their products. Also, the iGrapper seems to have disturbingly large number of negative reviews, too. I would be cautious about purchasing anything from this company and do a lot of research.

24. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

It's more expensive than anything you're looking at, but if you want something that, as the saying goes, "just works," then take a look at this BlackMagic Design unit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Design_VIDREC_Video_Recorder_USB_Capture.html

I used one to transfer probably 50 hours of VHS material, and it was flawless.

I used the s-video output from a Panasonic AG1980 recorder, to try squeezing as much quality from those VHS tapes as I could.