VHS to DVD Conversion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by canadadude, Jan 1, 2009.

1. canadadude macrumors member

Wondering best way to convert old VHS tapes to a DVD; can someone explain what I need and what the process is step by step. Thanks!! :D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Buy a DVD recorder/VCR player, buy some DVD±R disks, follow the instructions included therein.

You can also hook a VCR straight to a computer for digital copies, but I believe that requires extra software.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Do you have a digital camcorder with analogue input?

If you've got the time and energy, you can capture VHS video through a camcorder into Movie, then edit/burn to DVD in your Mac.

It's a cheap option if you've already got the gear - but time consuming. The easier option is to do what Tallest Skil suggests - and you can always eBay the machine once you're done with all your videos.

4. MarvinT macrumors newbie

Convert VHS to DVD

This is a very good converter and quite cheap if you don't need all the thrills converter

Here is an excellent page with all the ins and outs of transfer Video to DVD it's a little biased to using their services but I did glean a lot of information about DIY transfer of videos.

VHS to DVD

Good luck.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I just used a eye tv and my VCR. Recorded it to my computer, used imovie to edit and idvd to put it onto dvds.

Just be warned it isn't a 5 minute job, it's taken me weeks to do.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, the downside is that for every minute of video, you have a minute of recording. Really makes you appreciate the digital gadgets we have these days, huh? :D

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Indeed it does, when your editing too you end up watching the same thing again to make sure you cut out the damaged bits. For some reason some of the frames got frozen so i had to watch for them it would look stupid on a tv screen if the movie paused