VHS to DVD help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winty03, Jun 27, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

Hello, I have been wanting to convert some VHS training videos from VCR tapes onto DVD's. Can someone assist me on what equipment I need and or is suggested to get this done on my MBP, and possibly how to's that maybe out there? Thanks

2. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I think you can do the actual recording without any pc/ mac. You'll need a vhs player and a dvd recorder. Instead of plugging the vhs player into a tv, plug it into the input of the dvd player, and press record on the dvd recorder. Then when you have the data on the dvd discs, use iMovie for editing/ finishing up the rough edges. I haven't tried this but can't see why it wouldn't work (unless there is no input on the back of the dvd player.)

b.

3. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about it, but I would like to keep the option of being able to edit the video before I burn it.....using VHR dirctly to DVD recorder without MBP. I have been reading into www.elgato.com EyeTV 250 Plus. Any thoughts?

4. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Well there you go!

'...EyeTV 250 Plus offers a complete solution for converting videos from VHS tape to DVD-Video.'

I have he basic eyetv DTT for watching DTV on my mac, and have never had any problems with it. I definitely recommend elgato; if the '250 plus' is as good as the 'DTT' version, you will be happy with your purchase.

Just bear in mind that their products can be quite pricey, so the other option would save you a bit of money.

b.

5. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I have been reading and some people said their older model the 200 was or is better than the 250 plus. I do like the 200 had the firewire.....and not usb 2.0 any thoughts?

update.....it doesn't look like the 200 is available. I can get the 250 plus for $170 new...is that a decent price?

6. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a hardware encorder/converter like the eyetv 250 plus that has the option to do mpeg-4? So I have the option of mpef 1, 2 and 4 all in the same box?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's just you have do the encoding yourself, so you take the RAW feed from the VHS and convert into whatever you want.

8. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I see, after you convert it into the MBP I can save/convert it to whatever format I wish. I found and think I might go with this Canopus ADVC 100 bi directional and seems to have all options. Any thoughts?