VHS to iMovie...Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwade32, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jwade32 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to move home movies on VHS to iMovie or just to my MacBook?

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

Yes, but since VHS is an "analog" video source, you will need a device that converts the video & audio into a "digital" source that your Mac can grab via USB or firewire. I like the EyeTV Hybrid ($150 USD) for home use, because not only will it allow you to capture video sources (such as from your VCR), but it obviously is a TV tuner that will allow you to grab off-air and cable TV as well. Captured video can be saved in a format that will allow you to edit in an app such as iMovie.

3. tfast macrumors newbie

This works in Final Cut Pro, not sure about imovie:

Find a friend that has a DV camera with composite inputs on it (people with kids almost always have one), connect the VHS deck to that and then connect the DV camera via firewire and capture in free run mode (no tape in the DV camera). As long as you see the VHS in the viewfinder of the DV camera, you should see it in imovie.

imovie will think that it's recording from the camera, but will actually be displaying the VHS.

4. mediaguru macrumors regular

Indeed, if you have a spare DV camera, that would be a good alternative for the analog/digital conversion process. The beauty of having a device such as the EyeTV is that it can be used for capturing modulated sources as well. The newest version of the EyeTV software has a handy "Export to iMovie" feature.

5. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i second the eyetv

I used it over my holiday break to basically take every single vhs tape i have plus a bunch of family stuff and convert it to dvd-its really easy with eyetv

For the record I used the EyeTV Plus 250

6. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

the DV camera way works well. I do it all the time.

7. jwade32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm goin to try the DV camera first b/c I know someone who has one. Once I get some extra cash I'll try the EyeTV b/c it would be nice to record from the TV.