VHS to imovie with S-video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sekhemkhet, Jan 3, 2011.

1. sekhemkhet, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

sekhemkhet macrumors newbie

What I'm doing: I have a S-video cable connected from the VCR to my mac with the proper adaptors to make it work as well as the audio cables. when I connect it all up and play the VHS, nothing happens.

So I've read a few sources about the internet that have told me I can do this so I went out and got the adaptor for S-video for mac but when I plug it into my mac, it doesn't recognize anything is plugged in.

Will this work at all or do I have to go the capture card/camcorder route?

Does my computer not recognize the signal because it's analog? The VHS player I'm using doubles as a DVD player so is it possible to change that without extra parts if that is in fact my problem?

Is there any sort of program I can download (preferably freeware) that will recognize the signal from the VHS player or something that can be downloaded for imovie that will do the same thing?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

How are you expecting the Mac to accept video input? The macs have no video-in port except for the 27" iMacs.

And what adapters are you using?

Even the 27" only accepts digital input.

If you don't have 27" and digital input you'd need to buy an elgato eyetv setup.

3. mrbash macrumors 6502

It sounds like you are trying to connect the video out port to a VHS player. Unfortunately that port will only output a signal.

What you need is a USB S-Video capture device.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

6. shutterbugjane macrumors newbie

VHS to DVD editing in iMovie

I bought a Roxio VHS to DVD for Mac. It's supposed to work so you can then edit it in iMovie. 2 easy steps. I can't find it in iMovie. I have sent Roxio about a dozen support e-mails and they can't seem to answer the question. Where did my movie go and how do I find it. I've been trying to accomplish this for 3 weeks now!

They keep "closing my case" Any ideas?

Jane H

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Your imported video should be in your Movies folder in your Home folder. iMovie won't "see" it in there unless you use the Import>Movies option from iMovie's File menu, and then navigate to it.