Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hassan69

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Hi I would like to convert a large collection of VHS tapes to the mac. I need a capture device reasonable priced and works with Catalina. Also whats the best software to use as well. Thanks for any help that can be given.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I haven't used anything like this is a while, but when I did, I used software and hardware called EyeTV.

I can't remember which version I have, but the hardware looked just like the one here:

It came with a composite A/V dongle and has built in F-connector for RF, and plugged into the Mac using USB.

It was perfect for getting digital copies of old VHS tape.

It also had a DVR feature on it too.

I would bet that there is an updated version of this.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I use a Canopus ADVC-100 connected to one of my cMP's IEEE 1394 (FireWire) ports. This EXACT device has been replaced by newer models, but you can still find them for sale at various places. I like this model because it can defeat MacroVision on VHS tapes easily.

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
I haven't used anything like this is a while, but when I did, I used software and hardware called EyeTV.

I can't remember which version I have, but the hardware looked just like the one here:

It came with a composite A/V dongle and has built in F-connector for RF, and plugged into the Mac using USB.

It was perfect for getting digital copies of old VHS tape.

It also had a DVR feature on it too.

I would bet that there is an updated version of this.
This device works for digitising VHS tapes (I have used it for that). But the Catalina compatible version of the EyeTV software is still in beta.

It's probably better to do it in Mojave or wait until EyeTV 4 is out of beta (it will almost for sure be a paid upgrade).

Reactions: Hassan69

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
If you have an old video camera with analogue to digital pass thru, and a firewire port, you could try that option. iMovie should handle basic capture.

Hassan69

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Hi thanks for the replies so far but what i will be using is a VCR which will be connected to the mac via usb. Just wanted to know which is the best product our there.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
but what i will be using is a VCR which will be connected to the mac via usb. Just wanted to know which is the best product our there.

There has already been a few suggestions on how to accomplish this.

As for “best” software, this is pretty subjective, and this should be defined, such as price, quality, ease of use, or some other characteristics one might look for.

For example, if looking at best price, iMovie is free and can be used to capture video.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Hi thanks for the replies so far but what i will be using is a VCR which will be connected to the mac via usb. Just wanted to know which is the best product our there.
Unfortunately, you can't just connect to your Mac. You need a capture device.

That is basically a TV tuner stick that will do VHS stuff on the side. You only need a capture device like the Canopus, mentioned above, or Elgato's Video Capture, which doesn't need the EyeTV software.

Reactions: satcomer

TimRusti2

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
I use the USB adapter from Video-2-Mac.co.uk - it works with Catalina. Software they use is OBS Studio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.