VHS to Mac with no black bars

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gentile, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I want to convert my VHS tapes to watch on my widescreen iMac (24") with no black bars.

I am using the EyeTV hybrid and successively recorded the image using the A/V Input. I have also tried many options to export out of EyeTV 2.5 including 4:3, 16:9, and different video resolutions. I seem to be getting black bars on the left and right when I view it fullscreen under Quicktime or Front Row (I assume this is due to the 4:3 aspect ratio?)

Which option should I choose to get a video where I do not see black bars when watching Fullscreen with quicktime or Front Row?

I have done some research, but after a while this video stuff makes my head hurt. I really dislike the black bars and want to minimize them as much as possible.:mad:

Thanks in advance.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's just the way it's going to display because, like you said, when you put 4:3 into 16:9 you get a "pillar box."

The only way to fix it is to zoom into the 4:3 image until it takes up the whole 16:9 frame, but in doing that you are going to cut the top and bottom off the image as well as get nasty artifacts from zooming in on it. Not exactly an ideal solution. ;)

Lethal

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you really want VLC will probably be able to stretch the video to use the full screen.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Loks like you will need to crop the top and bottom off the VHS frame. You really can't do this automatically. Well OK you could but you'd likely crop the top of someone's head off. What you are wanting might be called a "reverse pan and scan."
    It is a lot of work to manually possition the crop boxes for every shot. You will need to use some video compositing software. Look into FCP.