VHS to VOB files to Quicktime

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Scrumbello, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Scrumbello macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use iMovie to edit clips from DVDs I recorded on a DVR from VHS tapes. They are older videos from performances I've been in or produced, directed, etc.
    I have a Panasonic DVR and after I format the DVD on it, the only ap on my computer that will play it is the VLC player, and the clips appear on my hard drive as .VOB files. When I try to load clips into iMovie, an error message says Quicktime cannot parse the file.
    I used Mac the Ripper to download it off the DVD disk, so the clips are on my hard drive. Then I tried loading them into Toast, which seems to do the processing but then totally hangs when the progress bar is complete.
    Should I try to download from a DVD that hasn't been formatted on my DVR?
    Anyone have any tips, or a better way to do this whole process?
    Thanks!

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just to minimize confusion, is your Panasonic device a DVD-Recorder or a DVR? There is a difference. A DVD-Recorder (which is what I think you have) records videos onto a DVD-R. A DVR is typically a Hard Drive based video recorder, like Tivo.

Anyways, I'm guessing that you already have the VHS tapes dubbed onto a DVD. If this is the case, you should try Visual Hub or Handbrake to convert the DVD to either DV or MPEG-4. iMovie will be able to edit DV or MPEG-4. Use Visual Hub to convert to DV, or use Handbrake to convert to MPEG-4.

If neither of these works, try MPEGStreamClip.

You shouldn't need to use MacTheRipper since your DVDs are encrypted.

3. Scrumbello thread starter macrumors newbie

Visual Hub worked

Thanks, Visual Hub works great; I used it to convert the VOB's to MP4s. Now I'm editing it in iMovie. Seems worth the $23 and change.

Yes, I did mean a DVD recorder.