Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

tkowalski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I have old vhs tapes and old vhs player. I want to hook up player to my iMac. Old player has 3 plug, yellow,white red. Can I get converter cable to hook player to iMac? Do I have to purchase newer vhs player with more connection options?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
You need an analog to DV converter box. This is the type of thing you need. You can find cheaper USB based units, but be careful as not all of them will work with Mac OS X.

Comment

tkowalski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Converter cable

Is there a reason I can't just try one the of the cable converters? red,yellow,white, s video plug to usb? Looks like they are the cable components sold as package, without the software program. I have Roxio Toast 11, which should allow me to convert. Cost is well under 100.00 even 50.00 for just the cable converter.

Comment

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Is there a reason I can't just try one the of the cable converters? red,yellow,white, s video plug to usb? Looks like they are the cable components sold as package, without the software program. I have Roxio Toast 11, which should allow me to convert. Cost is well under 100.00 even 50.00 for just the cable converter.

No. the output of the vhs is analog and you need something to convert it. The iMac does not have a video-in capabiity except for the 27", and then they still are picky.

Comment

tkowalski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Imac 27"

I have a 27" imac, so you are saying it's possible. I just purchased this:Geniatech iGrabber One Touch Video Grabber For MAC and PC, Push Button Recording

Comment

tkowalski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
VHS to DVD

Just an FYI. I purchased the IGrabber from MyGica for 27.00 online and after the confusing installation(see posts) in reviews, got it working great. So I guess because I have the necessary components on my 27" iMac, that is all I need to transfer all my old VHS to my computer!! It does have some flaws, as when you are recording, you hear audio, but picture is choppy. Though when you play back it's great! The manual that comes with is really worthless, so just read posts in reviews to install properly.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.