Viability of selling old macs + moving to intel

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ste0x, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ste0x macrumors newbie

Hey.

I have a G4 iBook which is long past being my 'main' computer, an intel mini I use for server purposes (has dodgy sound, non-working superdrive) and a G5 iMac which I use for just about everything and love besides: inevitable phasing out of PPC, how loud it is, and how anything graphically intensive makes it choke.

So, I'm looking to get an MBP, but can't really justify having an uh.. "collection" of macs :). How viable is it to get rid of PPC stuff these days? They're great, working computers, but is anyone buying them considering PPC support's days are numbered?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Everything has a price and a market. Put them on eBay or Craigslist without silly reserves and starting prices and they'll sell. Times are tough; don't expect to get what many people will claim they're worth. If you don't need them, they're effectively worthless to you, anyway.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you are going to get the MBP and let them sit no matter what, then anything you can get for them is a plus ... I'd say ebay them.

4. proc macrumors member

proc

I think the chance of selling your PPC is reducing every day that passes. I would sell it off if I were you. Once Snow Leopard is released it will be even harder to sell the PPC Macs off, other than by offering those PPC Macs for a very steep discount. Don't expect too much from the sale-revenues that those PPC Macs are going to produce though.

I think you will like the speed of the (C2D) Intel Macs.

5. spunklemonkey macrumors member

Not sure how many people do this, I thought everyone did, but login to ebay, then go to advanced search, type in what you think is the most common search for your old mac, or go to the catagory if you can I forget, click "completed listings only" you cant chose buy it now, the option might be greyed out if you do. Then it will show you recent prices of what stuff has gone for so you can compare, go through a good few weeks worth as things go up and down and then you can get a real good idea of what is good.

Id also point out people buy imacs off ebay and sell back on ebay, there are people doing this and I can see it through these past sales because people list their macs poorly. Just adding more detailed information can get you another £100! people are well put off when someone just puts a quick paragraph, no pictures and wants £500. Just list what it is exactly and take a picture and it honestly helps a lot in macs cases. That is how the buyers and sellers of macs on ebay are able to make money, lazyness and lack of knowledge of others, but fair play to them I guess.