vibrate button broke off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spank2223, Jul 24, 2008.

1. spank2223 macrumors member

In a meeting at work and switched my new 3g Iphone to vibrate like normal but felt something in my hand and it was the silver piece. Was pissed. Drove over to the apple store in oak brook, il and they said they dont cover accidental damage and I told the guy it wasn't and they finally agree service d to get me a service unit in 7-10 days. anyone else have this problem? are the units okay? I am also just blowing off steam. I didn't wait in line to have a pos phone break 13 days after i bought it.

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

damn this is like the 50th negative problem (manufacturing defect) i have seen so far... im definitely not buying iPhone3G for another 4 months or so.. shhcarrryyy

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Get used to it. It is clear that Apple cut costs on this version. I played with a 3G in the Apple Store the other day and it definitely felt less solid than my original iphone.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It happens, but it was obviously a manufacturing defect.

TEG

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Wow. At least they are going to replace it for free. Mine is perfect so far (well, I'd hardly call the battery perfect, but that's another story and thread...) but I do need to get it covered on insurance. Out of all the phones I've had (I think this is my fifth), this one seems like it's going to be the easiest to slip out of my hand... :eek:

6. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

finally someone agrees with me

7. pittster macrumors regular

if you 'Google' this subject you'll find a few hits on it.
    unlike the 1st Gen phone which seemed to be made of one piece of plastic, this switch appears to be glued onto the other section of the button.

Looks like failures at this area of the switch are going to be a problem.

I still have my 1st Gen phone, comparing the two my 3G is definitely 'cheaper' in its overall feel and look.

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i will go tomorrow and compare the 3G to my 2G... however at first glance/feel the 3g feels snugger in the hand. it looks quite sexy however never judge a book by its cover......

9. pittster macrumors regular

Oh the shape of the 3G is MUCH nicer in the hand, and less slippy compared to the metal back of the 1st Gen, but the build quality IMO is another story altogeher:(

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

They should have replaced it immediately on the spot then and there.. cretins..

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Yeah that should've been replaced on the spot. Call and ask to speak to the manager or call applecare. You're sure to get a much better/quicker response. I would seriously hope so.

12. spank2223 thread starter macrumors member

problem was they were out of stock of service units