Vibrate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derbystar16, Jun 8, 2007.

1. derbystar16 macrumors newbie

The switch on the side of the phone seems to only have two settings: Ring and Silent.

For such a sophisticated phone, the thing has to be able to vibrate...right?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

It has to be part of the silent mode. They wouldnt leave that out. Just not really worth advertising...

Real Internet!!! Amazing touch screen!!!! Vibrates!!

Just doesnt work :p

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

if it's $499, it better well have vibrate mode. that's just understood on all cell phones these days.

5. wronski macrumors 6502

I bet it won't have it. Sounds like something Apple would do. That's what will generate it into a flop.

6. neven macrumors 6502a

You bet what? I'll give you 4:1 that it does.

7. wronski macrumors 6502

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Everything I've read says it does indeed have a vibrate function.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Source(s) ?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know what all this convergence crap is. Why do people need one device that does sixty things? If you want to talk, get a phone. If you're horny, get a vibrator. Why does your phone need to vibrate? :eek: ;) :D

Seriously, they better. I understand where all the tension that it might not have vibrate is coming from, but that would be insane.....

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I read somewhere that the iPhone won't have a vibrate, but of course I can't find the site at the moment.

I would think it would come with a vibrate, what phone doesn't?

13. TimJim macrumors 6502a

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

My cousin's cat's veterinarian's sister-in-law knows someone who works in the iPod division at Apple, who definitely states that iPhone will administer brief shocks in silent mode, with the intensity governed by the caller's rating in the address book.

15. Gonzlobo Suspended

Great. I won't give my mother-in-law my number. :D
    -Signed Mr. Obvious

16. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I don't see why apple just can't state that it has vibrate (or heaven forbid not).

17. HitmanX macrumors regular

Vibrate is a pretty standard feature in phones today, I don't think it has to be stated. Maybe in a week or so an official spec sheet will be released, which will have the vibrate feature on it.

18. Virtualball macrumors 6502

I agree 159% Apple has been pissing me off with this iPhone. I really want one, my contract is up in August, but if you launch a product 6 months AFTER it was announced, I would expect a FEW more details. The only new detail we have is *drum roll* there may or may not be 3rd party stuff.:rolleyes: That's all fine and well, but if it costs $80 a month, I can't enjoy the possibaility of maybe having widgets on my phone. I want to know if I will be able to use my old iPod accessories, if I can afford the data plan, if it has a SIM card slot, if I can use music as ringtones, iPod games (?), Nike+, and so much more.

The fact is, this isn't an iPod where I can just buy a new one if it's cool, a phone has a teather to it. I need to know things before the week it comes out. This is really stressing, especially because it seems like WWDC won't even mention it...:mad:

Not good Apple...not good.

19. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You're joking, I understand, but that's sort of an interesting idea that I've never heard of a phone having. That is, a more intense vibration if a member is of a certain "group" or something like that. The people who you designate as closest to you would vibrate faster or harder than your acquaintances. Like ringtones for silent mode. Do any phones have this?

20. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It has a dock connector, so probably yes.

So wait until the week after it's out. Who says you HAVE to buy it as soon as it's out? That seems more of a personal question to me. Just look at comparable smart-phone plans. They're all up in the $80 - $100 a month arena. If you can't afford that, you probably can't afford a plan that'll support all the iPhone's features.

That was covered IN THE KEYNOTE, SIX MONTHS AGO. Yes, it does have a SIM card slot.

That'd be nice to know, but it's not a deal-breaker for me personally. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to hack that in, if it doesn't come like that, honestly. We've all seen what's happened with the AppleTV, and this will be MUCH more directly accessible.

That'd be nice to know, I agree.

I'd say probably not.

What this all really boils down to though is that you really don't need to know these things before it launches. After it launches, ALL your questions will be answered, and then you can decide if you want to get one. There's no reason you HAVE to get one on opening day, unless you've already decided (like me) that it's SO AWESOME that you MUST HAVE IT, despite whatever questions remain unanswered. Otherwise, just wait to find out. All will be revealed.

The pre-announcement in January was just to head off information leaking from elsewhere and build up a lot of buzz. I dunno if you've paid attention to the tech press, but that part DEFINITELY worked which is nothing but good for Apple. ;)

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I don't know about intensity, but there are phones around that will vibrate in different patterns.

22. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Do they even make phones without vibrate? It's just one of those features they don't have to tell you about.

23. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

What I would like is a way to set it up so the phone goes into silent mode with vibrate on automatically at 10 pm and then switches back to normal ringer at 8am:) I get tiered of having to manually change it so it doesn't wake me up and then forgetting to turn it back on and missing calls :(

24. NJDevils44 macrumors regular

NJDevils44

if it didn't have vibrate that would really suck...

25. TheSlush macrumors 6502a

TheSlush

I love vibrate, but doesn't it use up a lot of battery power? Could that be a reason Apple would leave it out?