Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Is there a way to set up my iphone so that I only receive vibrating notifications? What I want to do is have the phone ring on incoming calls when the ringer switch is set to "on" but I want only vibrating notifications for sms, emails, etc. Similarly, when I have my ringer switch set to "off" I want the phone to only vibrate for incoming calls, sms, texts, etc. Is this possible on the iphone?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Part one, no. Part two, yes.

I can live with that I guess. How do I get it to only vibrate then with my ringer switch set to off? Right now it doesn't appear to be giving me any notifications (ring or vibrate) for new sms or email messages.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Well then you're not paying close enough attention. it does. Test it by sending an email while holding it.

I tried that. It's definitely not vibrating (and I do know that the vibrate is supposed to be very soft),

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
So basically there's no way to get vibrating notifications only?

Sure - Go to settings, sounds. Make sure Vibrate is set to On for silent and turn on all notifications below. When you flip the silent switch you'll get vibrating notifications only

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Sure - Go to settings, sounds. Make sure Vibrate is set to On for silent and turn on all notifications below. When you flip the silent switch you'll get vibrating notifications only

Oops - I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I meant to say was that I guess you can't get vibrating notifications only for sms and email messages when the ringer switch is set to "on".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.