Vibrating sound MBP 15" 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DanDilla, Feb 14, 2017.

1. DanDilla macrumors member

DanDilla

Hi,

I just brought my 15" 2016 in to repair at my local reseller because I got a vibrating sound coming out of the trackpad when typing more heavy than normal or tapping the Trackpad and around.

The technician there agreed with me, it must be one of the force-feedback motors which is spinning free.

I get a new topcase now, should be fixed in 2-3 days...

Anybody else got this kind of problem?
    I didn's find anything about this problem here...

2. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

3. DanDilla thread starter macrumors member

DanDilla

The first weeks mine wasn't loose at all. i first noticed it last week, wednesday I think, and it became that loud since then.

None of the display models had this, so I would ask for a replacement or a new topcase, since it could be wearing out faster (force feedback worked) with a loose part.
    I also think it could be vibrating somewhere at the LogicBoard and damage it over tine...

Or do you want to live with it?

4. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Hmm, weird. I tried again and now it does't sound loose... But just hours ago it sounded different. Crazy.

In your case, if it's easily reproducable and the tech agrees with you that it's loose, sure go and see if it can be fixed.

5. DanDilla thread starter macrumors member

DanDilla

Try in different temperature states, in my case it was completly random, sometimes it was there from the boot, sometimes it started while typing.
    But if it was there it remained for a few hours. Sometimes more sometimes less.

Made a few videos to show the technician if it should be fine, but in the end I was "lucky" and it was rattling like hell when I went into the store :D

6. DanDilla, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017

DanDilla thread starter macrumors member

DanDilla

Just got my MacBook back, not fixed.

The technician wasn't able to order the spare part from apple, he needs to get approval for a guarantee repair, which he didn't get until now, the sounds seem very uncommon and not widely known at apple support...

7. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Then tell them to replace it, if apple cant handle the repair parts then they need to replace it.
    That's not normal at all.

8. DanDilla thread starter macrumors member

DanDilla

Jep, I'll sure do.

The problem is, without an approval from the guarantee team at apple this is a legit issue, the technician can't order the spare parts without having to pay for them.
    So he told me this and offered me to take my macbook with me so I don't have to suspend work for the time the macbook is just lying around at the store. As soon as he gets an answer from apple he will call me to bring it in and get it fixed.
    I think maybe it will get replaced through them if the problem is not known, so they can investigate deeper in this.

Another problem is I bought through a third party reseller in another city (extra edu discount) which told me to send it in, they confirm with apple and repair / replace it, which is the same service my local reseller can provide me. (+the extra shipping days)
    Apple store in Hamburg would be a 1 hour drive each direction so I hope they replace it in town, if apple shouldn't be responding next week I will sure go to the Apple Store and insist on a replacement.

9. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

So you live in EU then Apple can't say anything according to EU laws your entitle to warranty repair.
    If haven't made the issue by your self, and even so it's up to Apple to prove it during the first 6 months from the purches date.

Same law trough the hole EU, so just state that.

10. DanDilla, Feb 17, 2017

DanDilla thread starter macrumors member

DanDilla

Jep, thanks, I know.
    But I'll give them a week to figure out before I drive to apple. As far as I know there's no law which forces them to replace it instantly without a few days to figure out whats wrong...

I didn't buy the macbook there so I completely understand they don't want to repair it on their own cost and if apple asks them to replace it with a new one and they already fixed it with a new topcase apple won't cover the spare part.
    So he sends a service ticket to them and apple is deciding if they send out a spare part or a new macbook. This process is usually handled in 2-3 days, but he didn't recieve an answer yet.

Just what the technician told me...

It's way more comfortable for me if they can get it fixed here than driving to apple. So I try to avoid it :D

On the other side I think if apple can't instantly tell him what to do, they would also keep it at the apple store and won't replace iton that day . :/

11. samuel.park2 macrumors newbie

My third macbook pro touchbar is making rattling noise. is this normal??

12. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Hard to tell. Is the noise coming from inside? The latter part of the video is pretty quiet. Are you getting some hinge noise?

13. samuel.park2, Feb 17, 2017

samuel.park2 macrumors newbie

Yes it is coming from inside and also making some hinge noise when i open

14. Sanpete macrumors 68020

The noise from inside isn't normal. A little hinge noise isn't unusual, sometimes it goes away if you work it back and forth enough.

15. DanDilla thread starter macrumors member

DanDilla

I just called Apple support and played the sound from my video to them.

They said this is in no way normal, which was pretty clear to me and provided me with a support ticket which will let the Reseller take further steps.
    The lady on the phone told me it will be much easier for them to order replacement or spare parts since Apple already know what's the problem.
    I don't see the logic behind this since I already left my MacBook with them but I don't have that much choices...:D

So I'll give it another try on Monday.

The hinge noise I got is minimal and okay in my eyes, my 2011 got this too.

... while the macbook rattles like from another planet as I'm typing this...