Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I have a few questions:

I was working in the library yesterday. While I worked on a wooden desk, a student studdently dropped a heavy book on the desk. Since then, I feel that there are slight vibrations when I rest my left palm on the machine while typing. Do you think it is caused by the incident? I worry that she might have damaged the hard drive of my MBP by suddently dropping heavy book on the desk where my laptop rested.

Please note that somebody else did this to me once before. Yesterday, I had the Zeroshock III 17-inch in between the MBP 17" and the desk. I wonder if the it could reduce damage caused by this kind of incidents.
Any idea?

This brings me to the question of how motion sensor works. I heard that when the sensor senses motions, it parks the drive head. However, in the case mentioned above, the movement is caused by the desk vibration (an impluse caused by a sudden drop of heavy objects next to the laptop) rather than from moving of the laptop. It might be too late for the sensor to sense the impluse. Anybody has an idea how the sensor works in this case?

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
yes the sensor detects drops, so the hardrive is safe when it lands, a sudden impulse would not allow enough time to protect it, are you sure you dont have a CD in the drive, this would cause the vibration you mention, or you can bring it to an apple store and let them check it out.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The problem is that I am now living in a small city in Korea with few people who can speak English. It is not as convenience as if I were in North America. So, unless the machine is not functional, I wouldn't send it out to the technican. Do you think the issue would get worse? I worry that she might have caused scratches on my hard disk. What sort of damages could result by the sudden impulse force?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.