vibrations while external hard drive is powered up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have my external hard drive in a vertical enclosure on my desk, & when I rest my arms on my desk or feel some of my hand on the mouse pad, I feel some of the vibrations from the hard drive motor. I placed my hand on my laptop surface, on the palm rests & around the back of it's stand( I have it on a mesh stand on my desk) I also feel the vibrations of the hard drive.

Is this harmful to the laptop? is there any way to buffer the vibrations?

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

TBH I would be more concerned about the drive itself. It should not produce enough vibration to feel it through the surface of your desk.
    You could always stand it on a foam pad, say an old mouse mat cut to size or something.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does not seem to be making any noises that are unusual, it has always made a bit of a whirring noise, it is a seagate 7200 iTB drive in a bytec vertical metal enclosure.

4. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

i wouldnt worry about it. 7200rpm is quite fast and a little vibrating probably isn't anything to worry about.

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will the vibrations affect my laptop? When I touch it I can feel them a little bit from the drive running next to it

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You`ll be fine they can handle a little vibration.
    I currently have 5 external drives sat on my desk.

7. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

:cool: