VICE C64 emulator - how get it to work?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by MrMister111, Apr 3, 2017.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

I want to play an old C64 game. OpenEMU (although great), doesn't support C64. I read that VICE is goo d on Mac?

I downloaded it, I get the blue C64 screen, but not sure after this to open stuff etc? d I have to download anything else? No idea how to do it! As I say OpenEMU is a great app and is easy to use.

thanks

2. Tech198, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G4

I use VICE on 10.12.4

.d64, .tap, and .crt are all images from real floppy disks/cassette/ or cartridges used on the Commodore 64, so u need these first to load, just like u need to load something from cassette or 1541 floppy drives back in the day

You can find these Google search

Once downloaded, n u may need to un-compress them (double clicking will do it. most are in .zip format and will uncompress on the Mac), then open up Vice, and from "File" menu "Attach disk image."

Point to your .d64. or .tap image you downloaded and that's all there is to it. Keyboard/Joystick emulation may need to be set up.

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/vice_2.html#SEC5

The only thing which doesn't work is saving programs.. Although a workaround by taking a snapshot from the menu.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks.

I got the download from that site, but I don't have the menu for File>Open. It's not there on the top?? I have some images of .tap though.

When I extracted the VICE download I clicked on x64 it opened the C64 screen

Do you need to add a BIOS or something?

I like OpenEMU for the interface and ease, and also allows me to use my Steel Nimbus gamepad

4. Tech198 macrumors G4

No.

(Attached) You should be able to also use the game pad with 64 as well.... although configuration may be required in Vice Settings

Attached Files:

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Strange this is what I get, what am I doing wrong?

[​IMG]

6. Tech198 macrumors G4

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Attached Files:

8. Tech198, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G4

ok.. . i'm using 3.1. FN + F12 works for me...... try that. This is the the way to bring up menu now with SDL version..

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

pressing that takes me to dashboard!?!? grrrr

10. Tech198, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G4

You need to disable shortcuts.... Mac has control over it.... On the Mac Go to System Preferences >>> Keyboard, Shortcuts.

Uncheck this, and while your there in Mission Control, uncheck that as well... Keyboard will conflict with C64

Hen u've used FN +F12 in C64, go to "autostart image" and choose directory and/or file..

"Autostart image" is used so u don't have to manually type in LOAD "*",8 afterwards.

Default controls are arrow keys, and RETURN is fire.. But i guess these can be changed,, I'm still getting used to version 3.1 myself.

If it still doesn't work, I dunno what else to say. as it works ok for the stuff i'm doing.

Attached Files:

11. MrMister111, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok thanks for help, I disabled it and got a game loaded! at last, however what are the keyboard controls, or even better can I use my Steelseries iOS controller? If so how do I map?

I'm trying to go through menus, I use the up/down, but what I select? is it space? just doesn't seem to enable stuff etc?

e.g. go down in menu to keyboard settings, and I want to chose British I scroll onto it, but hitting ret or space won't select it?

So now I've (at last!) got a game loaded but I cant play it! Just like being back in the 80s with the tape cassette loading ha ha

12. BugHunter macrumors member

So I just came across this issue myself, one thing that's really going to help is making sure you grab the cocoa version not the SDL version
    http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/macosx.html

As far as when a game is loaded, I think the trick is working out what Run/Stop has been mapped to on your keyboard. (I haven't done it lately but I remember getting stuck on load screens for ages too)