Vid conversion app that does subtitles?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by plasticavatar, Oct 20, 2008.

1. plasticavatar macrumors newbie

Problem is, I've got all kinds of files from conversions past in ogm/avi/etc. that I'm trying to make in to Touch-compatible files *with* English subtitles.

I've been using Handbrake to convert my DVDs to mp4 for a while- mainly so I could have a nice file to view on the computer/tv that also works on the Touch.

But I'm stumped trying to get English subtitles to show on foreign language versions of movies I already have ripped from DVD in those 'other' formats. I've tried iSquint and VisualHub, but can't find diddly on how to enable certain audio tracks and/or subtitle tracks.

Anyone know of a solution? Anyone know of another app I could use that does subtitles when converting from one vid type to another?

Help appreciated =)

-P_A

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

My understanding is that you have to rip the subtitles at the same time you rip the video as it overlays them onto the video during the re-encoding process...

If you ripped them without sub-titles, you will need to re-rip again with the original discs...

3. plasticavatar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, done that.

For example, the ogm files have the subtitles (have to activate them when you watch... I use VLC 99% of the time). They're there in the files, they're just not on unless you turn them on.

I decided to try iSquint/VisualHub because so many people have had great luck with them... but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to put the subtitles up when I do a conversion =(

4. darkmeton macrumors member

Actually gkarris is right.. The only way is to rip the movie and overlay the subtitles and then encode it to .mp4. So you actually don't have an on/off function for the subs. They are a part of the movie.. I think mp4 cannot support external subtitles. The question is, in the ipod touch manual, in the video section it says next to play it has a button to enable/disable the subtitles.. Has anyone actually seen it working? Maybe it works with rented itunes episodes or something..

5. plasticavatar thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm S.O.L.? [chuckles sadly]

O.k.

So if I'm starting from DVD, I rip it in a way that emblazons the subtitles on the video so they're ever present?

I can do that, I suppose.

But it just seems there should be a way to take a vid file that has a subtitle track and either a) convert it to a format that allows that fancy button subtitle thing no one's seen yet, or b) convert the vid to a Touch capable file with the subtitles in the 'on' position so they show up when viewed.

[shakes his fist at the heavens]

Surely there must be a way to salvage the subtitles on these already existing files!

[weeps]

6. YodaEXE macrumors member

I'm assuming you're using a Mac? I've done similar things in Windows using a couple different programs (VirtualDubMod for one), so I know it should be able to be done if you can get a Windows computer. This is why I don't understand the hate for Windows. There's such a variety of software that you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to find a solution to any problem.

7. plasticavatar thread starter macrumors newbie

Possible solution #1 = PC app

No PC hate from me =)

Windows, the OS, on the other hand... Well, I prefer my Mac OS =)

But, there's a damn good reason I've got XP and Ubuntu on my laptop alongside 10.5 =P

VirtualDubMod. I'll check it out. I've got no qualms about going to another OS to get the job done. Thanks for mentioning another route for me.

Still, if anyone has a Mac solution- chime in! Mac apps do tend to look prettier ;)

8. YodaEXE macrumors member

Well, just do some Google searches. I forget what I'm using at the moment (too lazy to hunt and figure it out, but I know that there's an option to embed subtitles).

And I must disagree about Mac looking nicer, but I suppose it's a personal thing. I've got Vista running on my desktop on dual 19" LCDs and I think that it looks MUCH nicer than OS X does (which I do have in a virtual machine through VMWare, for when I get bored and feel like playing with other things). OSX, to me, is just unintuitive in the way many things are done. But, again, this is personal preference, and also the wrong place for this discussion. I would love to sit and debate the pros and cons with you sometime however, as it is interesting to see why people prefer one OS over another.

EDIT: Do a search for Prism Video Converter and Xilisoft Video Converter. I think one of those may have an option that you're looking for. Something else you can do is use VirtualDubMod to make a new video file that contains ONLY the audio stream and sub stream that you want, and then convert from there, which should help a bit, as I know some programs get confused when there are multiple audio streams to deal with.

9. plasticavatar thread starter macrumors newbie

PC options.

Thanks to YodaEXE I've dug up some possibilities.

Right now I'm fiddling with PocketDivxConverter

http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/EN_index.htm

It handles ogm files... but I can't get it to display the subtitles yet... and wow is it fast- even under Parallels.

[still searching for the right solution]

Poop =|

10. plasticavatar thread starter macrumors newbie

alltoavi

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/alltoavi

O.k., this looks like the winner =)

It's fast, easy, and hard codes subtitles, plus it will convert ogm files. Now, if I could get it to export to mp4... Eh. From alltoavi to VisualHub to my iPod. Not the most direct route, but I get what I want from my anime vids.

At least I have a solution, even if it requires XP =)

Thank you Parallels.