Video 3G vs 3GS where's the uproar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HowardRoarke, Jun 10, 2009.

1. HowardRoarke macrumors newbie

I may be missing something but I'm under the impression only the 3gs will be able to record video. I was hoping the os 3.0 update would enable video in the 3g phone but have heard nothing to support that.

if this is the case I think more people need to be complaining that if a jailbroken iphone 3g can record video the os 3.0 should have enabled this feature.

I mean the subsidy thing is boring argument, no phone should need to be subsidized anywhere, thats why in japan little teeny boppers buy the new tech-iest phone everytime one comes out without worrying about monopolistic phone companies.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, and if I'm not wrong why the hell didn't the 3g os 3.0 update allow video recording?! ( edit: in summation; I mean if the 3g had video I doubt THAT many people would care about upgrading just for speeds sake )

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i think you answered your own question with the last part. also, while the old hardware might be able to do video after jailbreaking it likely cant do video in 30 FPS VGA (not acceptable for apple).

3. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, complain and force Apple to enable the 6fps video that the 3G is capable of.

4. HowardRoarke thread starter macrumors newbie

hah touche.

i'd still like the option of crappy video over no video. just like people who still use dial up have a right to the internet even if it's slow as hell.

thanks for the reference to the other thread.

5. dagomike macrumors 65816

just because it technically has a camera doesn't mean it can do video. There's probably a reason the 3G didn't do video in the first place. Get where this is heading?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Jailbreak, because Apple isn't going to allow it.

7. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

I think that's the point right there....Apple decided not to enable video on a 6fps camera because it would be crappy. if you can't make something kick-ass, then don't offer it all. too many phones out there promise you every feature under the sun, but then it works badly, hard to use, or not up to standards.

8. HowardRoarke thread starter macrumors newbie

safe to say we wrapped this one up real quick.

cough jailbreak wins os3.0 update fails

9. bjquach macrumors 6502

The processor on the 3g won't be able to handle 30 fps as the 3G S can.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apple hates things that look like crap. It tarnishes the companies reputation for well working, simple, and beautiful products.

11. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt that, since old POS phones from 3-4 years ago which much worse hardware all were able to record videos...Apple is just being a corporation and cares predominantly for its bottom line..

12. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Well, you don't make the decisions, do you?

Apple is the one who has to write the software and provide support, and do they really want a large group of 3G users complaining about the 3G's video quality? Sure, you're fine with crappy quality, but you're the minority I'm sure of it.

It has to do with the camera hardware. It's a still-image camera, not a motion camera. The jailbreaking community has succeeded in writing a video recording app for the 3G only because it's a dirty hack (it takes pictures as fast as it can and stitches them together for a awful max 15 frames per second at a terribly low resolution).

It has little to do with Apple's bottom line, and everything to do with quality.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No phone should be subsidized? Are you nuts? For agreeing to use a phone for two years (what, I'm going to change my mind in 3 months?), I get a $300-400 price reduction. If I do need to back out of my contract, it would cost $175 at first and then $5 less per month as I go on. Do the math, and you're nuts to not want a subsidy at least as an option for buying a phone.

14. Aranince macrumors 65816

No video on the 3G is a hardware limitation...not software. The hardware can't write to memory fast enough or something like that.

15. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

well i think the iphone 3g will get video soon enough after they sell some 3gs's in a couple months. look at the past the ipod touch didnt have the majority of native apps the iphone had but in time it came. i bet they will put it in an update and sell 3g iphones with video recording . i mean how cool would it be to go buy a 99 dollar iphone 3g that had video that would appeal to people who are on a budget apple doesnt skimp on features normally but with this they did and in time they will fix there mistake