Video adapter to drive three displays?

RoadHammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and honestly am not typically a Mac user. That said, I've been working the last few days with a business partner of mine to help setup his recording studio. They purchased most of the rig, including a Mac Pro 2.8 before they started remodeling the studio a little over a year ago. We're now finally breaking it out and running into an issue.

So in Apple's infinite wisdom, they saw fit to only include 4 expansion slots on this machine (1 for Graphics + 3 Additional PCIe). Right now we've got the NVidia 7300 dual display adapter and 3 DigiDesign interface cards installed, so no available PCIe slots left. The original design of the rig calls for a total of 3 displays connected to the Mac. Obviously this is not possible at the moment given the configuration. So is anyone aware of a graphics adapter, compatible with the Mac Pro, that can output more than 2 displays? I've found countless adapters for PC (Windows & Linux) that can do this but nothing for Mac.

RoadHammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
OK Thanks, unfortunately you've confirmed what I was worried would be the case. I'll start looking at alternatives including the adapters you linked to.

RoadHammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Depending on the specifics of your needs, something like the Matrox dual/triple-head2go might be an option:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/
Thanks for that link. I had seen that device before but only the analog version (goes from DVI in to VGA outs). I'm trying to keep everything digital. Seeing now that they have a digital version of that, it might work out perfectly. Thanks, I think that may be the answer to our dilemma!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.