Video adapter to drive three displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RoadHammer, Nov 24, 2009.

1. RoadHammer macrumors newbie

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and honestly am not typically a Mac user. That said, I've been working the last few days with a business partner of mine to help setup his recording studio. They purchased most of the rig, including a Mac Pro 2.8 before they started remodeling the studio a little over a year ago. We're now finally breaking it out and running into an issue.

So in Apple's infinite wisdom, they saw fit to only include 4 expansion slots on this machine (1 for Graphics + 3 Additional PCIe). Right now we've got the NVidia 7300 dual display adapter and 3 DigiDesign interface cards installed, so no available PCIe slots left. The original design of the rig calls for a total of 3 displays connected to the Mac. Obviously this is not possible at the moment given the configuration. So is anyone aware of a graphics adapter, compatible with the Mac Pro, that can output more than 2 displays? I've found countless adapters for PC (Windows & Linux) that can do this but nothing for Mac.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

3. RoadHammer thread starter macrumors newbie

OK Thanks, unfortunately you've confirmed what I was worried would be the case. I'll start looking at alternatives including the adapters you linked to.

4. ZennZero macrumors member

5. RoadHammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that link. I had seen that device before but only the analog version (goes from DVI in to VGA outs). I'm trying to keep everything digital. Seeing now that they have a digital version of that, it might work out perfectly. Thanks, I think that may be the answer to our dilemma!!