Video and non-video ipods sync'd to the same mackbook.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DLS, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DLS macrumors newbie

If this question has been asked and answered, then sorry, I didn't find that thread.

Can I use both a non-video ipod (2nd gen nano) and video ipod (current 80GB Classic) on the same macbook with one itunes library? Obviously the nano won't play video, will video automatically be ignored when itunes syncs the nano? Will I have to sync both ipods manually (deselecting the video before syncing the nano)? Or is it just not permitted, or recommended to have ipods of differing capabilities used with the same itunes setup? I would like to keep using the nano for places like the gym where it gets bumped around, and the video ipod elsewhere.

These may be newbie questions, but a little patience please. I switched to Apple last month (bought a macbook) and just let itunes run automatically on the WinXP Dell with only the nano.

2. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

see below sorry for double post -- I screwed up

3. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

It'll work fine as far as I know -- I have eight iPods on one library some with video some with none (on a PC as well but dont see why it would be any different)

4. tefleming macrumors 6502

Yes, they'll work fine. Yes, if you let itunes manage everything it won't load videos on the iPod that can't play them.

I've got three iPods synced off my library and take a bit more manual approach by telling it to sync certain playlists to certain iPods (there is overlap). This means no video to the busted up ipod in the car, some video to my touch, and all to my 80gig video. (same with music, all in the car and on the video - some on the touch.)

//EDIT: the "bit more manual approach" is my choice, not a requirement of having multiple ipods

5. DLS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. If found this on the Apple discussion forums, looks like there are at least three recommended ways to use multiple ipods.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300432

For what it is worth, I found that if I download video content (podcasts) they are automatically not sync'd to my non-video nano.