Video and Photo editing system

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Felsefetestisi, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Felsefetestisi macrumors newbie

I will work with 1080p/4k video and some raw photo. I need smooth and fast workflow at premiere, after effect and photoshop. (render time is not much important)

i have two option:
    1) New 5K İmac basic version(i5, AMD Radeon R9 M290X, 1tb fusion drive + 16 or 32 ram. (i can't upgrade cpu or gpu because money reason)
    2) DIY PC with i7 4790k, gtx760, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1080p 27" monitor etc.

What's your recommend? (sorry for my poor english)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You'll be better off by building your own PC.

Even without taking into account of rendering times, an i7 will still be crucial.

The M295X is also important.

If you can't upgrade these two, you'll be better off building your own PC.

3. Felsefetestisi thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant upgrade these, unfortunately. Thanks for advice.

4. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

Is the PC and monitor capable of 5k resolution? If not you're paying more for the retina iMac for something you don't need.

A better comparison might be a top-spec non-retina iMac 27, which is about the same price as the retina iMac you mentioned. The iMac's GTX-780m is only slightly slower than the GTX-760. There are also factory-refurbished 2013 iMac 27s available: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

However since your main use is Premiere, AE and Photoshop, this runs similarly with similar user experience on both Windows and Mac. I personally would prefer the Mac over a DIY PC because of the support and reliability, but they both can do the job.

5. Felsefetestisi thread starter macrumors newbie

The non-retina imac with upgrade, it cost more than basic 5k imac in my country. Like i said 5k imac or DIY pc. They are nearly same price. Diy pc and monitor will cost 2000$. Difference is 500$. İ just wonder 5k imac perform can handle 4k editing. İf it will not. Im going to buy hardware for DIY pc. There is no other way for me. Thank you.

6. fathergll macrumors 6502a

So you're asking if an i7 4790k, gtx760, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd on Windows will outperform i5, AMD Radeon R9 M290X, 1tb fusion drive on OSX?

The correct answer is i7 4790k, gtx760, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd on Windows.

7. Felsefetestisi thread starter macrumors newbie

This is exactly what i need. But i didnt expect this answer lol. I really hate pc/windows. Also didnt use any mac but i wanna try one of them. They are very expensive toys. Any way, thank you so much for taking the time.

8. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

Depending on the spec, those aren't much cheaper than a similar iMac 27, and they aren't any faster. They are like a clunky primitive version of the iMac.

There are price/performance advantages to building your own PC, assuming you don't mind the hassle and possible troubleshooting. However I personally don't see any real advantage in the Dell XPS 27.

The OP will be working mostly in Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop. Those run the same on Windows as on OS X, and the user interface within those apps is basically the same.

I built my own PC and edited using Premiere Pro for years, and it worked OK. However there were infrequent, nagging little problems I never got ironed out. That's one reason I prefer my iMac 27 and FCP X.