Video 'app' contrast/brightness glitch...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spooky73, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Spooky73 macrumors member

Has anyone else noticed when you start a video (movie or show) from the iPad 'video' app that a split second after it starts there is a shift in contrast/brightness. It goes from what I assume is normal settings to a much more washed out image. It happens every time I play or stop a video. Try it. The playback has a washed out, less contrasty look that it switches too very quickly.

Is this a bug in the app? I have an iPad 2 but have used others iPad 1's and never noticed this before.

2. duk macrumors regular

I noticed this immediately after getting an iPad 2, I sure hope it is indeed only a software glitch.

3. Spooky73 thread starter macrumors member

4. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I don't have that problem. Think I would chat with Apple about it, could be a problem with some ipads and not others.

5. nasty devil macrumors member

I notice this when Im playing a video and switch to portrait or vice versa.
    Clearly brightness or contrast can be seen shift. I hope this is fixed :)

6. Spooky73 thread starter macrumors member

Just checked and the effect you're seeing is the same thing I am. That's the first time I've noticed it on the orientation shift but it's definitely doing it. It's not a serious issue but it does not seem right.

7. Spooky73 thread starter macrumors member

FYI...here is a link to a support thread about this issue. I am floored that there are thousands of posts here about the silliest and most nit-picky issues but no one is complaining or upset about this very obvious software glitch. SO many worried about how their screen looks but no one cares about their videos playing back at the wrong gamma?!?!?

We need more people to call Apple and complain about this or it may not get resolved.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3028327?start=0&tstart=0

8. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Well, I play A LOT of video...in fact, playing video is why I bought the iPad...
    Now, I don't use the native video app so I haven't really noticed the issue...
    I mostly use AVPlayer HD, VLC Player, SlingPlayer and Netflix and everything plays absolutely beautifully on my iPad2...
    I'll load a QT video into the native app and let you know if I notice the issue...

9. gatearray macrumors 65816

Agreed! I noticed this immediately when I got my iPad 2 on launch day and thought for sure that it would be fixed by now. Sort of blows my mind that it hasn't!

I'm not even a big movie watcher and it annoys the living **** out of me. Can anyone confirm that this has been fixed in iOS 5?

10. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

I noticed this as well one the first times I watched video on iPad iPad. iPad 1 doesen't have it.

11. Nishi100, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I did notice this issue whilst in 4.x.x on my iPad 2; but, it's fixed now in iOS5. There's no longer a contrast switch in the Movies app, or (playing videos in) the Photos app.

12. Spooky73 thread starter macrumors member

I too have been hearing it's been fixed in iOS 5 but not 'officially' confirmed. Thanks for the heads up Nishi100.

I should also clarify that this issue occurs in ALL video playback on the iPad 2. NOT just the native video 'app'. Netflix, YouTube, CNN, etc... Every video playback has this issue. Just an awful oversight.