Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shagmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hi, i have a desktop mac with a G3 processor; its an old man. I recently downloaded a film, but realplayer has real trouble playing it. I've watched films before on my mac, i know it can work but i guess it has to do with the dimensions of the film im watching or something like that. VLC plays visual no problem, but it has no audio whatsoever, and i have no idea why. I usually just sync the visual of VLC with the audio of Realplayer if this happens, but only ever for short videos in the past, I dont think my old man can handle this for a film. Do i need a special codec or something? DJO player and Quicktime take one look and keel over.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
hmmmm

that's odd

If Real Player can play it with audio, then VLC should certainly be able to play it with audio too...

VLC plays almost anything. Maybe try getting the newest version of VLC, if you don't have it already...

VLC should be the only vid app you need on your old man...

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Look into MPlayer, there's an OSX native version and it can read the codecs from other OS libraries (i.e. DLL, there's a download package).

As far as I'm aware it is the only player (other than the native Real) that can play the current Real formats.

Shagmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks guys. Mplayer doesnt seem to work; whenever I open a file it ti watch, the video window tries to open and then ' quits unexpectedly'. But I've got VLC working now, and I assure it WASN'T because I left the volume down. Cause I wouldnt be that stupid I'm sure... However, I think the old boy just doesn't have the power in him to play the film. Coincidentally, I need subtitles- can I download them seperately or something?

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
quigleybc said:
Two seperate windows?? why?

Volume control is very strange.

And it will sometimes just start playing back at 2x speed...

not a fan of MplayerX

MPlayer X has a horrible UI, I use VLC or quicktime when I can.

However, when nothing else will play it, MPlayer will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.