Video artifacts on the new MacBook Pro 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jun 22, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello. I noticed that when I switched users using the quick switch icon on the top right, sometimes video artifacts (lots of dots/lines in random color) appeared on the screen during the transitions. Anybody has the same problem? Is this normal?

2. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

I'm getting it in certain cases too now since 10.6.4

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the reply. I have it right from the beginning even before I updated to 10.6.4. Is it a hardware or driver problem?

4. goblortikus macrumors newbie

macbook pro 2010 artifacts and crashing

I have also been getting a lot of artifacts and a lot of crashing on the new 2010 Macbook, 15" core i7. Reinstalled OS. Very few apps. I can be running almost nothing and it also crashes out. Skype crashes it a lot. It chokes a lot on Firefox + Flash video. It just freezes the whole system for seconds at a time and sometimes brings down the whole OS.

After seeing Jobs' denial routine on the iphone 4 antenna issues (there is a problem, but there is no problem) it just makes me suspicious that it would be hard to get any real information from Apple.

I think it may be related to the NVidia/Intel integrated graphics switching. I don't know. I have had a late 2009 Mac Mini with a lot more stuff on it (certainly all the apps on my new Macbook and more) and have not experienced anything remotely like this. It's practically impossible to get work done with a hard system crash, on average, every 15 minutes to 2 hours.

5. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'm having lots of problems with this too. It only happens when I'm running Safari 5.0.1 (6533.17.8) on 10.6.4 (10F569) on a 15" i7.

When temperatures reach ~130ºF while using the Intel graphics card and Safari, I get a full screen of artifacts. It usually begins when I load a page in Safari (with or without flash content) and then scroll. Then a rectangular piece of the middle of the page will stay in place while the rest scrolls. Then, the whole screen is artifacted. Taking a screenshot using Cmnd-Shift-3 yields a solid black image that's not my screen resolution.

If I switch to the NVIDIA graphics, everything is back to normal. But when I switch back to Intel, even after I quit Safari, my screen is still covered in artifacts and little pieces of the website I was browsing, and pieces of sites I had visited even before there were any issues.

The funny thing is that all the artifacts are below the OS X menu bar (meaning I can see the artifacts through the translucency, but the menu bar itself is fine and operates normally) which makes me think it is a software problem. Also, sometimes my wallpaper, which is the Snow Leopard default, reverts to solid blue, but System Preferences shows that it's still the default wallpaper selected.

I remember that older MacBooks had a problem with artifacts if secure virtual memory was turned on (System Preferences -> Security -> General). I haven't had a chance to try turning it off, but has anyone else had any luck?

6. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Wow I just decided to check this forum to see if anyone was having this very issue.

It all started for me last week. Mine is an i7 15" Hi-Res. It seems slower as well, scrolling isn't as smooth, and it crashes apps a lot. I even had a kernel panic two days ago, which cited a problem with the Intel graphics when I read the report I sent to Apple.

It happens on either chipset with me... I'm guessing I'm going to need a new MB. Sounds like bad vram.. (possibly)