Video Attachment Problem>>Mail>>Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 1esotericguy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. 1esotericguy macrumors newbie

Just upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. Fully updated and current per software updater. This is on a 2.16 GHZ CORE 2 DUO WHITE MACBOOK.

Having a problem running Apple Mail.

Emails with video attachments take a LONG time to open. They beachball for about 15-20 seconds even if they've been opened before.

And here's the bigger issue:

The little quicktime player isn't showing up inline in the body of the email. I can only play the attachment by pressing QUICKLOOK>>Open With Quicktime Player.

It's really annoying. I have:

1 Reinstalled Lion (no difference)
    2 Clean Installed Lion and Migrated User (no difference)
    3 Created another user and logged in as that user (no difference)
    4 The only thing I did that gave a good result - I installed Lion on an external drive and booted from that drive.
    4a I copied my mailbox and plist to this clean install of Lion on the external drive
    4b Video attachments that didn't work on my actual install of Lion, worked on this external boot disk installation

Can anyone help me figure out where the conflict is? What other applications or processes are linked to
    that little quicktime player in the body of the email. I can't figure out what is in my user file that is causing this issue.
    It has to be some application I have. But I don't know where to start.

2. 1esotericguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed it on my machine! Found the solution via an similar problem people were having in the Aperature program.
    SEE HERE:
    http://aperture.maccreate.com/2011/...-installed-and-3ivx-video-codec-is-installed/

I did a spotlight search for 3ivx on my computer and it found an 3ivx UNINSTALLER.
    After uninstalling 3ivx and restarting - MOV VIDEO files worked again in my Apple Mail client.

I wasted 2 weekends of clean installs etc etc. Glad it's ficed though.