Video/Audio Chat for Website

matthewamzn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Does anyone know of any good software for integrating video chat into a website? I want to host it and everything. Any ideas? I've seen CamFrog, AVChat, DigiChat....... anything cheaper :D

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Only problem with doing that would be the latency. Unless your on a superfast connection (I'm thinkin a T line or an OC), it will look horrible, espically when others are trying to use your site.

Why not include a link to something like your AIM account and invite them to do a video chat with you?

matthewamzn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
I have a dedicated server with my hosting provider. I'm hoping it will be fast enough.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
matthewamzn said:
I have a dedicated server with my hosting provider. I'm hoping it will be fast enough.
Its not the speed of the computer really...its the speed of the connection.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
All of the decent video-chat software I've seen is fairly expensive. It's only worth adding video-chat if it's a pay membership site because the cost to set up and run video chat is significant. So, if the commercial apps are out of reach, then you may want to reconsider having video chat at all. It eats up HUGE amounts of bandwidth and you need decent camera and sound equipment, too. If the quality of the video or sound is bad, people won't bother with it.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
MacFan25863 said:
Its not the speed of the computer really...its the speed of the connection.
most streaming video servers are the fastest server i have ever worked with.