Video/Audio timing off....HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by The ResQ Shop, May 31, 2008.

1. The ResQ Shop macrumors newbie

I've been trying to create some instructional videos using my MBPro and Final Cut Pro. I'm using a JVC Everio HDD camcorder to capture the video. First problem is that FCP will not recognize the video files on the HDD and I have to manually rename all the vids with a .mpg suffix. Then when I imported the .mpg's into FCP the audio was gone. I then was able to 'demux' the .mpg's using MPEGStreamclip and get the audio separated from the video. But my continuing problem is that even when I bring in the video and audio separated and start them at the same time, after roughly 2-3 minutes of video, the synchronization is off by around 4 frames. The longer you ignore it, the worse it gets. I've even tried recording the audio on a separate device and using that audio and still the timing gets off. THERE HAS GOT TO BE AN EASIER WAY!

I'm thinking I've chosen a poor camera for this task. Anyone have any ideas on either a timing fix OR thoughts on which video camera would be best for this project?

Thanks in advance.
    Will W.
    The ResQ Shop

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Instaed of using MPEG Streamclip for the audio, use it to demux and convert the video AND audio to the format that matches your FCP Sequence settings. When that is done, then you can import the resulting file(s) into your FCP project.

-DH

3. The ResQ Shop thread starter macrumors newbie

OK.... I think that's what I'm doing. Can you clarify what you mean by "matches your FCP sequence settings"?

Also, do you have any thoughts on the video camera I'm using?

Thanks in advance
    WW

4. -DH macrumors 65816

In FCP, go to Sequence->Settings to see what your Sequence settings are. Make notes. In MPEG Streamclip, make sure that you choose settings that match those of your FCP Sequence.

For example, if your FCP Sequence is set for DV/NTSC, 48khz, 16 bit, then your settings in MPEG Streamclip should match that.

I have no thoughts about the camera you're using ... other than I wouldn't own or use one for the type of work I do.

-DH

5. The ResQ Shop thread starter macrumors newbie

-DH,

THANK YOU! I checked those settings, then went into MPEGStreamclip and had it convert the original muxed video into a Quicktime movie with the same settings. The Quicktime movie dragged into FCP seamlessly and remains synched with all editing maneuvers. FINALLY! I might actually complete this project before I die.

Thank you again.
    WW