Video backup on external drive.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Farley21, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Farley21 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am looking to backup video to two external drives at the same time. I will be copying video from p2 cards on to an external drive. How can I make the contents folder go to two drives at the same time. I am doing a multiple camera shoot and need to reuse p2 cards. So I am looking for the best and fastest way to send that contents folder to two external drives at the same time. Thank you for your help.

2. Arrowk127 macrumors newbie

I've used software called shotput pro. It allows you to backup to multiple drives as well as transfer multiple cards at a time if needed. Also they have file verification built in so you can be sure your files are safe. It does cost $99 but it's well worth it for everything it does.

3. Farley21, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

Farley21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. Is there a way to "daisy chain" the drives together so I am not having to transfer to each drive seperately. For Free:eek: Do you have to have multiple card readers to transfer multiple cards.....how does that work. Sorry for the stupid questions. A little new to this.

4. Arrowk127 macrumors newbie

I don't know of any free options for doing what you described. They may exist but I haven't used any. Also yes you would need multiple card readers or one that could accept multiple cards. Panasonic makes one as well as another company called sonnet. I haven't used the sonnet one but the Panasonic reader works nicely for multiple cards. If you can I would also recommend using two types of ports. If you have a USB external drive and a USB card reader it tends to slow down a bit. Try using a combination of USB, Firewire, ESATA... This usually makes the transfer quicker.

5. elisedriver macrumors newbie

Shoot me down in flames here, but why not get a dual bay external enclosure that supports RAID / Mirroring.

6. boch82 macrumors 6502

Or just set up time machine and let it run in the background

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

You're doing a multi-camera shoot using P2 card-equipped cameras and you can't spend $99 on keeping all that work safe?