Video: Baseball's 1924 World Series

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Oct 3, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Funny that I'm posting this in Current Events, even though there isn't a bloody thing current about it! :D

I admit, I'm not much of a baseball fan. It's nice to see every so often live, and on TV it's boring. But as a history buff, this caught my attention this morning. I'll let WashPo set up the story (baseball fans, if you don't want the story, just skip to the bottom):

Luckily, the LOC put this up on Youtube. Note you'll see Pres. Coolidge at the game as well. Enjoy!

BL.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not only is this very cool, but look how freaking packed the stadium is!

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. But even more than that, when was the last time the crowd actually ran onto the field for any outdoor US sport?

I mean, if I look at the Australian Football League, I would see the crowd run onto the field whenever a major feat occurred, like if a footballer kicked their 100th goal for the season, or like in Tony Lockett's case, breaking a 62-year old record of the most goals kicked by any AFL player in the history of the game (1299, by Collingwood's Gordon Coventry). Lockett broke the record in 1999, funnily enough, at the Sydney Cricket Ground, against Collingwood.

The SCG holds no more than 45,000 people, and that's at standing room only. With that, here's the clip:

anyone have any NFL or MLB records to crack so everyone can storm the field? :)

BL.

4. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge