Video calling - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wryta, Jun 14, 2010.

1. wryta macrumors newbie

wryta

Can someone shed some light on this "breakthrough" iPhone feature? Phones with video call function (including two cameras/picture in picture)... haven't the big brands been doing this for the best part of the last decade? Yet in the Apple promo, they seem to be claiming that video calls will not only "totally reinvent the way we communicate", but that Apple have invented it!

Not only that - is it true that the iPhone can only vidcall over Wi-Fi? Which means your callee has to be somewhere Wi-Fi'd as well for the call to work? I've been looking for a gold-clad excuse to justify becoming an iPhoner, and Apple are telling me vidcalling is what I've been waiting for.

Well... since I experienced vidcalling on a Nokia FOUR YEARS AGO, (and being distinctly underwhelmed once I got past the 'new gadget' attraction) I don't think they've convinced me. Not only that, if they are saying that vidcalling is the iPhone4's trump card - can someone give me a better reason to finally leave my Treo?

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Um, yeah: your Treo sucks.

Haha, just kidding.

Apple may not be the first, but often are the best when they implement things. I think video calling is stupid anyway.