Video Camera Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tarheelmommy, Aug 28, 2011.

1. tarheelmommy macrumors member

Hi there, first time posting so hope I get the terminology correct.

I currently have a Sony DCR-DVD850 Camcorder (standard definition). I am happy with the video camera except that I am unable to directly import the videos into imovie. I have to first convert the format from mpeg-2 and then run a 2nd conversion to demux the videos. This process is such a pain - I am ready to purchase another camera b/c I don't like taking the time to convert the videos. In addition, the quality of the image is lost during the conversion. We purchased our I-mac (with Imovie 09) for the purpose of movie editing, so I'm more than disappointed.

My question: is there a camera on the market that I can 1) import directly from the camera into imovie without any conversion; 2) import movies onto my mac and later import into imovie without any conversion.

I have read wishy-washy reviews on AVCHD and whether or not it is compatible with the mac. Thanks for the help!

2. rseredyn macrumors newbie

It's strange, but your camcorder (Sony DCR-DVD850) is on the support list on official Apple site:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290

So maybe you import in wrong way? There are some hints on camcorder support list
    There are many models which iMovie supports, but don't forget iMovie uses always AIC codec, and during import you have conversion. But the quality loss is not so visible.

I have Panasonic HDC-TM900 camcorder (HD in AVCHD standard) and iMovie makes import directly (of course using AIC codec).

Rafal

3. tarheelmommy, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

tarheelmommy thread starter macrumors member

Rafal,

Thank you for the response. I have spent hours on the phone with mac support (purchased the support just to try and solve this problem as I have hours of infant videos that are very important to me). After even speaking to several supervisors, they could not figure out how to get the camera to import directly into iMovie without conversion. Once the file is converted using an special program, I have to then demux it or else there is no audio. On the mac video list that has my camera listed, ot mentions that the camera must be in standard format or video format. For the life of me I can't figure out what that means in terms of my camera, as there are no options on my camera for that ( nor is it mentioned in the manual) . Any suggestions?

When you import your videos from you panasonic, do you have to import directly to iMovie or can you put them in a folder on the mac and later import?

Thanks!

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Why are you demuxing? As I understand it, that is removing the audio from the video. Why do you need to do that? I have converted mpeg files for use in iMovie without having to do that.

What are you using to convert the files? Try MPEGStreamclip and export your mpeg file to Quicktime sing the Apple Intermediate Codec option, as that is what iMovie uses.

5. tarheelmommy thread starter macrumors member

This is what I believe I am doing, will go through the process again to make sure. This step results in the video importing picture with no sound. Demuxing and then importing into iMovie results on visual and audio but the process takes too long.

I would like to know what the best camera to purchase would be to avoid these steps.

6. rseredyn macrumors newbie

Hi

iMovie recognize Panasonic camcorder immediately after put the usb cable into camcorder and choosing "PC" option in camcorder.
    Then the import window is open and you can choose the clips to import. That's all.

As I remember, very importent for iMovie is to keep the folder structure as you have in camcorder. If you try to import to iMovie from hard disk, please copy whole data sructure from your camcorder.

Is your Sony SD (standard definition) or HD? if it is High Definition please don't mix the movies, it means you shouldn't keep in camcorder both, SD and HD.

What kind of movies files format have you in Sony?

Best regards

Rafal